An Acronis Puzzle

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ErikAlbert, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Suppose I have two .tib-files :
    1. AB.tib = winXPproSP2 + software A + Software B
    2. CD.tib = winXPproSP2 + software C + software D

The final goal is to get a system partition [C:] on my computer that contains :
    WinXPproSP2 + software A + software B + software C + software D.
    Is that possible with ATI or any other software of Acronis ? :)

2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

It would only be possible with TI if one file was an increment or differential of the other. Increment or differential files are identified by a number. So the files would show AB.tib and AB2.tib. In your case, you have identified the two tib files as being different, ie. two full backups. On restoring, one file would overwrite the other.

As for other Acronis software, who knows? Possibly Acronis.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If the cd files are in diff directories or have diff names, you could mount an image and copy the files from an image to the target disk after first doing a restore of the ab image.

Wouldn't that work?

4. ErikAlbert

I understand your solution, because I figured that out myself, but I was thinking of "AB.tib + CD.tib = ABCD.tib" with only one winXPproCD of course. :D
    I guess my puzzle is too crazy. Don't you worry about it, it was a pure theoretical question.

5. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Actually shieber's suggestion would be the way to go if you wanted to merge two full backups that had different information.

But the only thing that could be merged would be the data. Any programs installed in CD.tib would have to be installed in the 'restored AB image' and the data created by those programs would then be copied across from the mounted CD.tib

6. ErikAlbert

mark3 and shieber,
    I think winXPproSP2 is the biggest problem, because each software A, B, C and D causes changes in the registry and probably also changes in other parts of winXPproSP2.
    So TWO winXPproSP2's on AB.tib and CD.tib have to be merged in ONE winXPproSP2 and I'm afraid that this merge (if even possible) is an adventure with unpredictable results.

7. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Erik, I was not referring to XP nor do I think that shieber was either. What we were both saying was to restore the AB image first. That would establish the AB.tib XP software as the OS. It would also include all the programs that were installed for the AB image. Now mount CD.tib, check through what is different and copy it across.
    However, say you had MS Works on CD.tib but not on AB restored. First you would need to install the Works program on AB and then copy the data from the CD mount. And so on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.