AMON will not start

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rabmail, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rabmail

rabmail Registered Member

I run Win 2K on an old computer that serves as an internet gateway. It works well and has given no problems previously. I have slimmed W2K down a lot with LitePC so it runs better on the old machine.

I installed the 2.5.7 Beta on it and AMON will not start. I suspect AMON is looking for something in W2K that I have removed and when it does not see it, it will not start. If I can find out what is missing I can add it back in.

Basically I have removed,
    All Communications and Messaging (Address Book, Outlook Express etc),
    Games,
    All Multimedia.
    In Inernet Utilities I removed Connection Manager and Interner Connection Wizard and Windows Automatic Updates.
    In the Operating System Options I have removed Microsoft Agent, Microsoft Speech API, ODBC Database drivers, POSIX subsystem.
    In System Services I have removed Remote Registry, Smart Card Services, Telnet Service.
    In System tools and Utilities I have removed Briefcase, Task Scheduler and Windows Script Host.

Hopefully somebody from Eset can make a suggestion.

Dick

2. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Maybe is the RAM.There is not enough RAM on the Computer

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Maybe the virus signature database file got corrupted. Try uninstalling NOD32 and installing it from scratch by running setup.exe in the program files/eset/install folder.

4. rabmail

That is a possibility as it only has 128k but if Win 2k can run on it, then certainly AMON should run OK. Maybe I need to go to the store (junk) room and see if I can find another machine with more RAM in it.

Dick

5. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Rabmail. look this post here

6. rabmail

Marcos, I just tried that, did a full uninstall, reboot and reinstall and the same thing happened again, AMON would not initialise.

Will have to figure out what I took out of W2K that is causing this.

Dick

7. rabmail

Thanks for pointing me to that thread. Looks like RAM is the problem. Well off to the store room to see what I can find.

Thanks

Dick

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Unless I am misunderstanding, LitePC is about reducing Windows impact on the hard drive, which may or may not help the RAM. Unless the items you removed had previously been running at startup, removing them from the hard drive would have no impact.

Have you checked the Windows Task Manager to see what's running and how much of your memory is free?

9. rabmail

LitePC can certainly reduce the size of Windows on the HD but its main advantage is to eliminate parts of Windows that you don't want on the system. Windows load a lot of things at boot that I dont want running so I use LitePC to eliminate them. Boot time on an old machine is reduced by 50%.

Re my AMON problem, I reinstalled W2K again and got it working with Amon, then used LitePC again to strip out what I did not need. Everything is running well now.

Dick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.