Amon fails to start - low spec machine

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by q1aqza, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

My daughters PC is low spec (PIII 866 with 128 MB RAM running XP SP2). As expected it runs very slow but it has been running KAV 5.0388 on it but I thought I'd give NOD32 a try to see if it helps the performance a little.

NOD installs fine but AMON doesn't always start. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but after a couple of reboots it generally fails. I notice on the Eset website that this problem can be used by low memory or disk space.

Is 128MB too low for NOD32?

BTW, the PC is a Compaq Deskpro Workstation AP250 and memory upgrades seem to be more expensive than the price of a second-hand higher spec PC!! But I did get the PC for free so I can't complain!

2. fosius

fosius Registered Member

I had computer with 128MB RAM and no problems occurred.

3. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

It's more that it's too low for XP SP2...

4. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Try increasing your virtual memory

5. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Yeah I know but it does manage to struggle on and afterall it does still run KAV which is supposed to be 'heavier' than NOD ;)

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

6. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

It is, but that doesn't mean that XP always likes to play nicely :)
    How did you go increasing the virtual memory - can you tell if it has helped?

7. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

My daughter was in bed asleep by the time I got home from work last night, I'll have to try another evening. I'm not worried about doing urgently as I'd already shown her how to manually start it - and when it is manually started it it stays on until the PC is rebooted.

I'll report back how it goes.

8. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Try to see NOD32's Event log. Maybe you can find why AMON isn't starting automatically.

9. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

It may be worth looking @ Services (services.msc) to see if the NOD32 Kernel Service is set to Startup type: Automatic. The Recovery tab should also have Restart the Service for all failures.

10. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

So your computer now has KAV and NOD32 on it? You didn't say that you uninstall KAV so I assumed you now have both AV activated?

11. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I had previoulsy checked it and I think all it said was something like resident protection failed to start {or words to that effect}

Thanks, another thing I can try

I'm not that daft :D I definitely uninstalled KAV first

12. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I tried increasing the swap file and checked that the service was set at auto. But o I guess it was just a stretch too far for the low RAM.

I decided to restore the acronis image I took before I uninstalled KAV and have put it back as it was. Thanks to those for the tips I did receive though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.