AMON fails to start automatically

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Crunchy, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crunchy

Crunchy Registered Member

Hello all,

My NOD32 has been working flawlessly for years until tonight. All of a sudden, I get an error message reading, "error in initializing file system monitor", i.e. AMON does not start automatically when I start the computer.

Furthermore, the Quick Launch icon has disappeared and Windows sends me the customary warnings as the AV sw is not properly activated.

Using the setup.exe function, I have reinstalled my NOD32 and installed current updates, but the program keeps sending med the above error message when I restart the computer. My OS is Windows XP Pro.

Any advice would be welcome.

Rgds, Crunchy

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Crunchy, welcome to Wilders.

The usual cause for this is low system resources, as in not enough RAM. Could you please see how much RAM you have available.

Cheers :D

3. Crunchy

Hi Blackspear,

Thanks for your hint, which I think has put me on the right track.

My RAM is supposed to be 384 MB, i.e. the original 128 plus a 256 MB module which I have added. After reading your comment, I checked and found that the RAM is back at the original 128, which could be an indication that the extra memory module has given in. Would that be your idea as well?

Considering this, I presume that the failure of NOD32 to start properly is merely a symptom rather than the core of the problem. On the whole, the computer seems to run moaningly slowly with only 128 MB RAM.

If you have any further advice, I´ll be happy to listen.

Rgds,
    Crunchy

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Crunchy, running on 128MB with Windows XP would be like watching grass grow or paint dry, and as such, yes, you have a failed module or one that has come out of its slot.

Cheers :D

5. Crunchy

I did already try to push it hard, but no change.

Again, thanks for your hints.

Rgds,
    Crunchy

6. alglove

alglove Registered Member

My guess would be that the RAM is loose and has come out of its slot. Try removing it and reinserting it. If the RAM were actually bad, you would more likely have all sorts of unexplained computer crashes.

7. Crunchy

Hi Alglove,

My computer is a laptop and the RAM modules are held very firmly in place by clasps, so I am quite certain that they could hardly shake loose. I did actually remove the suspected RAM module anyway and inserted it again, but alas, it seems dead.

You´re right, besides the NOD32 problem, I have experienced a few other crash-like hiccups.

BTW, I have bought memory from http://www.offtek.co.uk and since they provide lifetime warranty (on RAM, i.e. :) ), I have already been offered replacement for the defective RAM module. Besides that, they deliver extremely fast (I live in Sweden), so I feel reasonably happy tonight anyway!

Rgds,
    Crunchy

8. alglove

Wow, that sounds like a pretty good deal! Let us know how it goes.

9. covaro

covaro Registered Member

That's being awfully kinda to XP to say it's like watching grass grow. Of course, when the machine has a crap load of Virii/Spyware, a broken copy of McAfee 9 AND has 128MB of SHARED memory, it's much much worse (my head still hurts... was my first appt this morning... ungh o_O ).

-Cov

10. Crunchy

Blackspear et al,

Still confused, but at a higher level.

I have replaced the extra 256 MB RAM module, which I suspected to be faulty, but alas, no change! The computer simply does not see it. Although no longer purely a NOD32 issue, I hope you can bear with me if I pursue the issue another round, since I started here.

This is what I have and what it does/does not:

- a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 & XP Pro;
    - originally there was a 128 MB module in RAM "Slot A", nothing in "Slot B":
    - I have added a 256 MB RAM module in Slot B, which has been running
    beautifully for more than a year;
    - as of recently, the computer does not seem to recognize what´s in Slot B.
    - today, I have tried a fresh 256 RAM module in Slot B - the computer does
    not recognize it.

Thus, I am stuck with whatever I have in slot A, be it 128 or 256 MB.

Is there, for example, any configuration file or similar in Windows XP where I am supposed to specify how much RAM to use?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Rgds,
    Crunchy

11. alglove

If you try a memory stick in Slot B (either 128 MB or 256 MB) without anything in Slot A, does it still fail to recognize the memory stick?

The memory detection is handled by the BIOS, before you ever boot into Windows. Windows just recognizes whatever the BIOS tells it. The BIOS detects the memory automatically. If the memory in Slot B is never recognized, even with memory sticks that you know work and with Slot A empty, then it sounds like a physical problem with Slot B. :(

By the way, how does the computer run with the 256 MB stick in Slot A? Do you still have the AMON problems?

12. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

You should be able to use the 256MB DIMM in the "A" memory module socket for the time being.

It sounds like there may be either a mechanical problem with the "B" memory module socket on your laptop's motherboard or possibly a problem with its DRAM controller (which may be integrated into the Northbridge controller--I'm not familiar with the Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 notebook). In either case, a service depot would have to replace the bad components or, more likely, swap out the motherboard.

Another possibility might one (or more) of the contacts on the "B" memory module socket is dirty or bent. The connectors can usually be cleaned with a cotton swab and some 90% isopropyl alcohol, and a set of dental probes, precision screwdrivers or even a toothpick can be used to gently push bent connectors back into place. Remove the primary and backup (CMOS/RTC) batteries from the laptop and take appropriate precautions to ground yourself before working on your laptop, of course, and be sure to give the contacts adequate time to dry if you clean them.

There are numerous switches you can add to the %SystemDrive%\BOOT.INI file to change the way the operating system uses memory: /3GB, /BURNINMEMORY=n, /MAXMEM=n and so forth, however, these are typically used to prevent access to a range of memory, not to force Microsoft Windows to utilize it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. Crunchy

Hello,

Thank you, gentlemen, for your comments.

According to the manual, the Tosh Satellite Pro 4600 cannot work without a memory module in Slot A. Hence, I removed the old (working) 128 MB module from A and inserted the new 256 MB one I received today. I have also tested the 256 MB module from Slot B in Slot A and it also works. But, as I said, the computer does not recognize whatever there is in B.

So, I am starting to accept the idea of a more or less mechanical fault with Slot B and I am prepared to try some of the cures you are suggesting.

As expected, the machine runs better with 256 MB in Slot A. NOD32, for one, starts as it should, so I am reasonably happy, although I had been looking forward to racing around with 512 MB RAM.

Yes, I have a grounding strap around my wrist when I fiddle with the interior of my computer. BTW, British Offtek has impressed me once again. The memory module which I ordered onlince last Friday afternoon was delivered to me here in Stockholm today, i.e. Monday morning!

Again, thanks for your advice.

Rgds,
    Crunchy

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.