Americans Spend Nearly Half Their Waking Hours Looking At Screens

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hawki, Jan 15, 2019.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Survey: Americans Spend Nearly Half Their Waking Hours Looking At Screens

Researchers calculate the average adult logs 6 hours, 43 minutes of total screen time daily — or 7,956 days over a typical lifespan!

More specifically, the survey found that 42% of the time Americans are awake, their eyes are fixated on a television, smartphone, computer, tablet, or other device..."

https://www.studyfinds.org/survey-americans-spend-half-waking-hours-looking-screens/

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Increase that if you work in IT. I probably spend 10 or more. It will stop when I go blind from the exposure.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm betting most of the developed world spends half their waking hours staring at screens. Not sure what the undeveloped world stares at.

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"WHO recommends one-hour maximum screen time per day for under-5s

GENEVA, April 24 (Reuters) - Children aged two to four should not be allowed more than one hour of "sedentary screen time" per day and infants less than one year old should not be exposed to electronic screens at all, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday..."

http://news.trust.org//item/20190424125844-jb0r6/

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't think anyone under 5 should be looking at screens at all. But nobody asked what I thought so... Kids should be kids. I miss the 70's.

6. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Apple Cracks Down on Apps That Fight iPhone Addiction...

Over the past year, Apple has removed or restricted at least 11 of the 17 most downloaded screen-time and parental-control apps, according to an analysis by The New York Times and Sensor Tower, an app-data firm. Apple has also clamped down on a number of lesser-known apps.

In some cases, Apple forced companies to remove features that allowed parents to control their children’s devices or that blocked children’s access to certain apps and adult content. In other cases, it simply pulled the apps from its App Store...

Some app makers with thousands of paying customers have shut down. Most others say their futures are in jeopardy..."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/27/technology/apple-screen-time-trackers.html

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Apple are a set of ****** for doing that ! What were they thinking ?

Another company gone bad ! Not many good ones left.

Regarding time spent. It depends what we're doing. If it's looking/listening to crap etc, like a Lot of people do, then more fool them. Unfortunately, it's not just teenagers etc that waste a LOT of time every day like that, & on their phones too. SAD !

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I probably spend about 10 to 12 hours a day behind desktop computer and TV. Both for work and play, so no complaints, it's fun to me. Luckily I almost never use my smartphone.

9. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

My time dropped from 10+ to barely 3h since I have a new girlfriend :argh:

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Phil Schiller Lays Out Apple's Case for Cracking Down on Screen Time Monitoring Apps

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. Rasheed187

I know what you mean, the only thing I enjoy more than staring at computer and TV screens are company of women LOL.

13. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

We can have both :p:D

14. Rasheed187

Yes exactly, you can first watch some Netflix together and after that spend some quality time. :cool:

15. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I have been trying to adopt digital minimalism for a while now but looking at screens seem to "spark joy" for me more than looking at blank space.

16. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

+ 1
    Sad but true. I only need to sit in town a short time to see so many are walking around, even crossing roads, with their eyes glued to their screens. It's illegal here to touch a phone while driving but it doesn't stop them. So many people driving with their phone stuck to their ear, or worse, texting while driving.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.