Amd VS Intel Laptop pls advice ...

Discussion in 'hardware' started by raakii, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I am planning to buy a laptop..i found that these two models suit my needs.

1)Lenovo G555 - 087372U, AMD Turion II Dual Core M520 Processor (2.40GHz), 15.6 " CCFL Glare WXGA, 3GB RAM, 320GB, DVD Recordable (Dual Layer), ATI Mobile Radeon HD4200 512MB, 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth, Webcam, VeriFace™ face-recognition software, OneKey™ Rescue System, Windows 7 Home Premium, 6 Cell Battery, 1yr Warranty » for $479

2)Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 2847, Intel Core2Duo, 15.6" HD VibrantView, 3GB RAM, 320GB, DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD, HDMI, 802.11 b/g/N, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium, 6 Cell Battery, 1yr Warranty » for $610

I want to know whether the amd model processor is equivalent to the Intel Core2Duo of the second model(ThinkPad SL510 2847).

Is the first model cost effective or does it have any sigfinificant disadvantages when compared to the Intel Model?Is the AMD processor (which are generally known to cause more heating than Intel ones) good for laptops?

Intended primary purpose of this Laptop---Internet Browsing through Wifi ,Watching Video Audio Movies,Webcam(for Chat),Dvd burning/reading.
    Thank You!

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Better specs on first machine for less money

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I would go for first machine, the proc might be a bit slower but you get rid of those UTTERLY useless integrated graphics, they really stink :D

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I use AMD processors and have for nine years with zero problems. Great product in my opinion.

5. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I have been using AMD Athlon in my desktop for last 3 yrs.Works fine IMO.But does AMD work well with Laptops where heating may cause considerable problems?

And one more question:How much Megapixels does a webcam normally have?Thanks all for your replies.:D

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

anything from 1.3 to 3.0MP and maybe over. Higher the better as you know

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Having owned both AMD and Intel, my advice would be: do not go for AMD on laptops.

Heat and CPU usage problems abound. And if you ever intend to use Linux, Intel will cause you less grief as far as hardware driver issues are concerned.

8. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

2005 models but those models still work today despite the heat issues. ANTEC cooling fan solves that. Today AMD 2-core 2 thread and 4-core 4 thread don't have these heat issues.. I still buy AMD first then Intel. Got two Atoms they're okay on netbook side. Have newer 3x quad core and 3x laptops AMD all the way baby!

9. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

The freshly released ThinkPad Edge 13" with AMD Neo processor is the latest example in AMDs heat and battery issues. AMD processors and Nvidia Graphics are great, but only for desktops. If you want a cool machine, go for Intel+ATI combo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.