AMD or Intel quad core processor

Discussion in 'hardware' started by sportsfan7700, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    have a question on processors in new PCs. Which seems to be faster AMD or Intel these days? does it depend on how much RAM/memory you have or any other factors? I'm just curious as I think want to have a new PC built for me when I get the money, just wondering what your opinions are?

Matt

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Moved Thread to Proper Forum for More Exposure!

sportsfan7700, if you know which processors you are interested in, perhaps PassMark's CPU Benchmarks will be a good comparison source.

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Intels are faster. However, I feel that with AMD's you get a better value. AMD's are more for the "budget minded". If you want speed and money does not matter, get an Intel.

4. sportsfan7700

thanks JR. I really honestly don't. I just know that running Dragon Naturally Speaking on my old Intel sometimes takes a lot of power. But the computers only got two gigs of ram so that's why. thanks to the Kid for that response

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

sportsfan7700, is there room to add more memory on that Vista 32-bit PC? A couple of gigs more would certainly help!

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

3GB is the sweet spot for Vista. After 3GB there won't be much of a performance increase. :)

As for processors, if you are on a budget, AMD and Intel are pretty much the same in terms of performance, but things differ from application to application. If you just want the fastest processor without considering the price, Intel's still the best.

Though, to be really honest, the AMD platform (motherboard+CPU+graphics) still costs less and/or offers better features (IMO) compared to the Intel platform.

7. sportsfan7700

JR, It's a lenovo Intel R pentium Dual CPU E2180@ 2 ghz.

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Both are faster now. I will wait for Intel Sandy Bridge with fixed SATA bug chipset and will surely look at Intel Core i7 2600.

9. sportsfan7700

Dont think I can add anything else. I think it may be at it's limit--was bought in 06. :)

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Can you provide a Lenovo model number?

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

AMD for desktop, games, movies is good enough, it is all about GPU there. Intel for video editing and graphic applications, AMD stands no chance there. Use money wisely.

12. sportsfan7700

LENOVO 2222222 LENOVO XXXX
    System Serial Number: 5555555
    Enclosure Type: Desktop

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

sportsfan7700, don't know if this is you, or if you bought the PC from this person, but at one time that PC (same serial number) had 4 GB of RAM.

Re: -http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/169822-post44.html-

You could use CPU-Z > SPD tab to double check your present RAM Module Size in the 2 slots, and under Max Bandwidth you'll see the RAM specs, enabling you to check for prices on the Internet, should you wish to add RAM.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wooo man, i have an E2180 on 3ghz stock cooling :D

And i can say taht i play 99.9% of the current games maxed ;) (Thats including the latest & greatest, modern warfare 2, fallout, dead space and a lot more) :thumb:
    Although in like 1 or 2 years it will struggle :p

15. sportsfan7700

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

17. sportsfan7700

I'll look at that one when I get a chance. Thanks

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

you could spend maybe 30-40$ on a asrock mobo and swap it out with your then simply change the onboard jumpers and overclock that chip. the 2180's can regulary get up to 3g or higher. the reason i mention the asrock is because with the simple move of a jumper it will do the oc for you instead of messing with the bios. or you could get a slightly better board and go nuts.

i also agree on the ram for sure. personally the 4gb kits can be found so cheap still at times it worth it. newegg had a 4gb kingston ddr2 1066 kit for under 50$ the other day....

but if i had to pick a quad core i would go intel. amd is decent but intel is by far faster. though in your case you do get better bang for the buck with a amd...

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, AMD/ATI now have always been best bang for the buck, but for top overclocking and the best performance, IMO it's Intel. :D

20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

just pulled out my old e2180 and dropped it into a dfi mobo i had.. (i have tons of "test" setups. with a really quick manual overclock i got to 3.2 on the stock sink with temps just a bit high. using a ocz vendetta 2 i had siting here im at almost 3.5 with temps that are fine... these chips were crazy overclockers if you got a good one. but even the bad ones were able to get 3g pretty easy on stock cooling that along with a full 4gb of ram will be a huge difference

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

My stock cooling after a few years, can't handle a full stress test more than 10 mins until it restarts LOL :D
    And i can't get new heatsinks due to price where i live (Not from USA ;))

22. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

My desktop was custom built & the bloke who built it for me (who I have known for many years & runs his own shop/store) has always preferred AMD processors.

My desktop has a quad AMD processor. In laymans terms what are the real differences to the end user between a quad AMD & Intel?

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

High end Intel's (Core i7) have a LOT LOT more memory bandwidth than AMD ones because they support triple channel memory configurations. The other models, support dual channel memory, same as AMD.

AMD right now is currently more like "Best Bang for The Buck", it gives you the most for the cheapest.
    But if you're planning to overclock, IMO Intel processors can overclock more and easier.

Anyways, it's all up to you.
    AMD offers Hexa cores for very cheap, if you do lots of multi threading apps, then it would be a good choice, but in general i would go for Intel. :)

24. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK, thanks Noob. Good job I'm not planning on overclocking.

25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Is there somewhere you can compare processors to find the equivalent in the other brand?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.