Amazon removed encryption from the software powering Kindles, phones, and tablets

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by dogbite, Mar 3, 2016.

1. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

What to expect from a company that mistreats it's employees, that forces DRM, and that practices censorship? ;)
    (No, I'm not talking about Apple).

The way I see it, this would be a great opportunity for Canonical to create a free Tablet OS that is compatible with Amazon's services.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Here's hoping they make a quick 180 from all the criticism they will get.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I need to start buying lottery tickets.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It's obvious why they removed it. They see the Apple situation and are trying to avoid being in it at some point. Now they see the public backlash for this is just as bad, so they are putting it back.

7. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Anybody want to bet the encryption brought back will have a backdoor courtesy of Uncle Sam's NSA?

8. topguynow

topguynow Registered Member

I recently bought an Amazon Fire 7 tablet at a ridiculously low price but have yet to actually register (the device). I was told registering would create serious potential privacy issues with Amazon. In the earlier Kindle version there was the option to turn off the cloud feature which would supposedly minimize this risk. I do not have the Kindle version-I have the newer Fire 7 tablet. Any comments from users.... or anyone? Thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.