Am I OK?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by spaceage, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spaceage

spaceage Registered Member

Hello. I'd like to get feedback on my current computer security setup. So here is what I use, all are free. Avast antivirus, Superantispyware, spywareblaster, malwarebytes, windows firewall, keyscrambler, and noscript. That's about it other than using the private browsing option on firefox, which I don't think is really necessary but sure makes me feel better and I guess that's important.

Any advice? I'm considering a better firewall like comodo or something and I believe I also need a registry cleaner and am considering Cclearner. My computer is only seven months old. Do I even need a registry cleaner?

What do you think the best free firewall and registry cleaners are? Ease of use is very important to me as is not getting anything that is even remotely likely to cause issues during download or use with the above software as I'm by no means a techie and do not have the brainpower for anything more than a few simple mouse clicks.

Thanks for any advice. :D

2. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

You might want to add ScripTrap and some registry protection. Have a look around SnapFiles freeware. If you're new to registry protection, you might want to start with SpyBot's TeaTime to get the feel of things. Otherwise, I'd use SSM Free version from Filehippo. I don't know which version of Win you're using, but I personally would drop the Windows FW for free Kerio 2.1.5 and plug all the holes by visiting www.grc.com/defaulf.htm and doing the Shields Up test.

Dave

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  3. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

Hi Spaceage!

For years I used Eusing Free Registry Cleaner,and then Auslogics free Registry cleaner.
    You get, as I am sure you know,mixed reviews about the safety/efficiency of the whole concept of registry cleaners.
    Being as you mentioned CCleaner,the registry cleaner in this program is conservative,but still
    manages to clean up after software uninstalls pretty well.
    On default it also allows you to save a backup of the registry,in the event something is borked.(others also have the feature)
    I thank CCleaner is all that is needed.
    You might consider adding Sandboxie as another line of defense,that is pretty easy to grasp with a little playing around.
    I also use Kerio 2.1.5 Firewall,and love it,along with a router.
    (I guess you are on XP? I am not sure it runs on Vista.)
    You can still find it by using Google.
    Good Luck!,

4. spaceage

spaceage Registered Member

OK Thanks. Sounds like that Kerio firewall is a good one. I have windows vista so hopefully that will be OK.

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Online Armor and Outpost are good free firewalls also.

6. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

CCleaner is somewhat accident proof. You can backup every reg file you delete. I put all of my clean-up saves in the same file so I can find them ... should it all go down the pan and I want to restore them back to their place.

Some of the unused file extensions that show when I run CCleaner I just haven't got a clue what they do. I just steer clear of those. Missing MUI Reference and Obsolete software keys I can usually trace because I have a pretty good idea what I have been installing/removing.

Here's an example of a reg key I haven't got a clue about - unless I googled.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.003

^^ also there is no way of knowing if that reg is dead or not! Just best left alone.

Yet I know the next reg file is ok to remove as I have just reinstalled Malwarebytes.

C:\Windows\Temp\is-7JJGN.temp\mbam-setup.tmp

It basically comes down to how obsessive you are about monitoring your own tracks on the computer - as to how worthy a reg cleaner is going to actually be. I have yet to read of any performance improvements from using reg cleaners. Maybe someone has some links to show otherwise :D

It's just a peace of mind thing in wanting an uncluttered working computer, for me. I keep tabs whats gone in/out so I rarely have problems with cleaning the registry. It's definitely hazardous and not recommended for everyone, though.

Tally Ho!

7. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

One of the worst and rapidly growing Malware problems is via USB entry,
    this Autorun Reg. fix from Nick Brown is very worthwhile, reading down his blog page shows what a danger the USB can be. People at PCWorld took up Nick's Hack and made a downloadable script, see link, and at Computerworld they made a tiny tester for Autorun to download, see link,
    it's very low down their page.

If you are not prepared to fiddle about in the Registry there is a download of Nick's Hack available at PCWorld - If anything went pear shaped there is a two line REG. Hack to undo the Hack, it can all be read at Nick's Blog.

http://nick.brown.free.fr/blog/2007/10/memory-stick-worms

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,76805/description.html,

http://blogs.computerworld.com/test_your_defenses_against_malicious_usb_flash_drives

8. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Kerio 2 won't work on Vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.