Am I in trouble? Hacked?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by perplexed, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perplexed

perplexed Guest

Hi all,

I'm rather perplexed in that some of my apps are displaying strange behaviour in that they'd want to connect to the site 64.15.205.241 first.

For example, I've just installed spywareguard from javacool and it too wants to connect to 64.15.205.241

Windows messenger same story.

What's happening?

ps
    I've just done a fresh reinstall of WinXp home edition and updated it to all the latest hotfixes.
    Am using Kerio 2.15

2. dog

dog Guest

Re: Why?

Hi perplexed, ;)

Could that be your ISP's DNS server?

Steve

3. perplexed

perplexed Guest

Hi Dog,

Thanks for the reply. How do I verify whether it's my isp dns server? I never use to notice this, been using kerio 2.15 all this while. When browse 64.15.205.241 I get something like a site placeholder directory with links which seem to come from roar.com. At times it seems to be linked with www.pageseeker.com

Still perplexed

4. perplexed

perplexed Guest

hmmm shouldn't be my isp dns server cos when I get kerio to deny it I still get to browse websites and such. Also my webbrowser doesn't seem to need to go through 64.15.205.241. Strange thing is that prior to my reinstallation of winxp, when I browse some sites like eg www.mepis.org I'd get the same placeholder directory site as 64.15.205.241

perplexed

5. perplexed

perplexed Guest

snapdragin, thanks for changing the title for me. posted too quick and didn't realise i couldn't edit the title.

anyone able to provide some insight?

6. perplexed

perplexed Guest

have tried lavasoft, spybot search and destroy and nothing found yet. have scanned with pc cillin 2002, avast 4.5 with no results thus far.

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I've just Googled it??.....Don't think it's your ISP....Check it out...

Cochise, :cool:

8. perplexed

perplexed Guest

Hi Cochise,

Indeed I already highly doubt it's my ISP. The ip address seems to be associated to pageseeker.com / roar.com... The thing which perplexes me is how have they come into my system? Remember I did a fresh reinstall and immediately installed kerio and then all the security updates for winxp...

and yet?

9. perplexed

perplexed Guest

Just completed a scan with ewido. No infections found.

Hmmm anyone with some ideas on what / where I should do / look / investigate next?

10. perplexed

perplexed Guest

Used Kerio to block out 64.15.205.241
    then blocked out 64.15.205.240

Right now i attempt to trigger this through launching windows messenger. After blocking the 2 ip addresses above... it came up with the ip address 64.15.205.180 which I've blocked...

any theories/ideas on how this can happen?

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just a thought :doubt:

All 3 of those IP's belong to Savvis Communications....an Internet backbone....similar to Level3 Communications, one of the largest Internet backbones in the world. At one time Level3 and Savvis had network service agreements....and they may still do. Level3 definetly helps Microsoft with their load....so perhaps Savvis is helping Level3 to help Microsoft ?

Do you lose any functions when you disallow any of those IP's....gifs, ads....etc ?

12. perplexed

perplexed Guest

i'm now trying a different isp now and interestingly i'm not getting the problem. windows messenger, spyware blaster behave as one'd expect.

still i'm not sure exactly what the problem is. the "problem" isp is a reputable one who mainly deal with business customers.

Or is it more likely to be the case where... somehow my ip range is actually recorded by some server somewhere. take the case of windows messenger. after i'd blocked the first ip 64.15.205.241, the second time when i attempted to sign-in, there was a noticeable delay before the second ip 64.15.205.240 popped up as a kerio alert.

@ bubba:
    No don't seem to lose any functionality. The more worrisome thing is that if you google those ip addresses, one would notice that they seem to be on the block lists of spyware addresses.

how is the mysterious communication taking place?
    perplexed

13. perplexed

perplexed Guest

anyone else with some thoughts on this?

14. Capp

Capp Registered Member

My thoughts...

run IPCONFIG /ALL to see what ip address your DNS server actually is (so you'll know)

run NETSTAT -A to see all the ports that are being accessed

That is just a start.

15. perplexed

perplexed Guest

@ capp

Thanks. I'm not using the "problematic" isp at the moment. Will see what happens when i get back to it. A comparison of kerio and the output from netstat -a looks fine for the moment.

And yup ipconfig does confirm that those addresses are most certainly not the isp's dns servers. (jogged my memory when you mentioned using ipconfig)

16. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

17. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Glad to help and sorry I couldn't be of more help. I don't know Kerio so I won't touch that one :)

18. joeseriously

joeseriously Guest

DRM(digit'l rights mgmt.) as a component of M$ WINXP

19. dezel

dezel Guest

No you havn't been hacked - loooks like some nasty spyware for example Cydoor! run Hijackthis, then copy and paste the log file at www.hijackthis.de for a quick check to see whats on your comp.

20. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Just in case noone has traced the Ip here it is in part

Attached Files:

21. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

second part

Attached Files:

22. bizet

bizet Registered Member

I just read this post searching for troubleshooting same. May this help others.

What I found is using this DOS command:

Run...Cmd..netstat -b

that showed the software using the port to that connection we are aware, in this case to SAVVIS.. the software was msnmgr.exe. Even when I was not connected to it, the app was in the system tray, once I closed the app, the connection to savvis dissapeared.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.