Am i getting this right?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by F-upComp, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F-upComp

F-upComp Guest

Excuse my ignorance but here goes:
    I stumbled upon this site via a support site for a game. I have problems installing the game due "a bad data file was detected during installation". I tried installing the game on a different computer and it worked fine so i'm sure my Cd's arn't messed up. Also, my explorer and mozilla crashes alot and my windows locks up sometimes. There are times when my icons are all messed up with funny graphics, the cd-rom and C drive icon turn black, and i get rundll32 error. Is this a case of a trojan, virus, or spyware attack or what? I'm considering getting this trojan software but im unsure if i have a trojan problem or not. Can someone give a few pearls of wisdom here?

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, the read/write lasers of CD drives do eventually fail. The other thing is that the lens system can become flogged or otherwise dirty. This has happened to my wifes CD player a couple of times. Very judicious choice lens cleaner solution helped in both cases. I've been too upgrade happy for it to occur on my PC's. I'd just recheck the CD surface for any fingerprints or spots and try again. Without further info - such as that provided by the testing Don suggests, so do pursue that line - I'd lean towards a minor hardware problem, especially if the other problems occur while the CD drive is active. If they occur randomly with no CD drive involvement, a software or trojan/malware issue is more likely.

If you have a pair of PC's, switch the drives and see if the problem follows the drive.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.