Am I dumb?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by zero_Phil, Sep 29, 2014.

1. zero_Phil

zero_Phil Registered Member

Hmm, so I've been trying to set up a 'safe' email account using Tor. They all require Javascript to be enabled either to sign up for a new account or for an account to actually function. Duh! Doesn't Javascript reveal your real IP address thus negating the whole purpose of using safe email? Am I wrong? Am I missing something? Am I dumb? Answers on a postcard please.

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Most likely, you are still safe. However, you might look at using a browsing-only VM that routes all traffic through TOR; this way there is no danger that your real IP might leak.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

No, Javascript doesn't do that, by itself anyway. But there have been Javascript bugs that allowed websites to push malware that did that. As Nebulus notes, it's best to work in a VM that can only reach the Internet through Tor. Even if the VM gets hosed, it can't leak the host machine's public IP address. The easiest way to do that is to use Whonix.

4. zero_Phil

zero_Phil Registered Member

Thanks, Nebulus and Mirimir. I'll look into Whonix and see if I feel confident about setting it up without making a hash of it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.