Aluria Security Center

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by metallicakid15, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

2. hardhead

hardhead Registered Member

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

It's not Symantec AV nor is it Sygate Firewall. Yes, it may use spyware eliminator 4.0.

I would suggest that you do some reading at Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites.

Do a seach for Aluria on the page above.;)

3. AshG

AshG Registered Member

I blew a lot of money on it last year. I've not been a fan at all.

It started out ok, good detection and not too intrusive. Before long, it started up some Security Ratings bullhockey that spooked the heck out of one of my clients, making her think she wasn't fully protected because I wasn't using all of Aluria's stuff.

I started seeing some false positives, especially keyloggers continually being detected when there were none there. The boot time scanner slowed one client's rather new systems to a crawl. At the same time, several items made it through (a few CWS items, some WebTools stuff, etc.) that shouldn't have.

I ultimately ended up paying my clients back for part of their remaining licenses and switching them to other things as per their request (MSAS for some, SpySweeper for others).

My personal experiences point me towards not recommending this software.

4. metallicakid15

5. metallicakid15

6. hardhead

hardhead Registered Member

I can assure you that if it was Symantec, that it wouldn't be free.

What you are pointing out doesn't mean anything other than it uses the same names.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ok, stop the horses.

First, i doubt C.NET would push a rogue program. Second, Bloodhound Technology is registrered trademark of Symantec Corporation. So this would be a violation of trademark name if they'd use such names (unless they use their engine which is obviously licensed for use).
    Third, summary/cleaning screen reminds me on NAV2005/2006.
    Fourth, Alura Software is a sister company of EarthLink (major ISP).

These are my facts for like 2 minutes of searching and common knowledge.
    I can check them out and what tech they use exactly...

EDIT:
    I've sent them an inquiry regarding technlogies they use. I'll let you know as soon as i get the aswers.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  8. waters

waters Registered Member

Taking it off now.Slows down system more than anything i have ever had at times.Also getting microsoft errors at times followed by applications closeing.
    If i am downloading i cant browse web,or evenget anything to respond.However doing one task only i found it to be very light on system.I have had to restart computer some times when trying to run 2 tasks,no response at all ,just waiting Pity because free for year and when it ran fast i really liked it

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well i tried it in Virtual PC and it worked pretty well.

10. waters

waters Registered Member

On my pc at first seemed fine.Put some strain on system and all failed .Running emule and surfing the net or when downloading even trying to open add,remove was impossible.Running programes on their own or opening forefox and browsing was very quick.

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The inclusion of Spyware Eliminator would be a turnoff for me.:thumbd:

12. TNT

TNT Registered Member

13. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

14. hitbit

hitbit Registered Member

Based on my personal experience I would advise you to avoid Aluria:thumbd: products and suggest you visit CastleCops castlecops.com/forums and Spyware Warrior spywarewarrior.com forums where you will find very interesting discussions and information concerning Aluria Software.
    In fact if you were to simply execute a "search" for Aluria you will find the net awash with concerns over their activities.

hitbit

15. hitbit

hitbit Registered Member

Hi,
    As regards things getting by you need to consider Aluria's arrangement with WhenU.

hitbit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.