Alternatives to SP3(Shadow Protect 3)

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Rico, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Re: Alternatives to SP3

It was your first reply. I meant, what are proper imagers? That's all, not in reference to any, just a general question was all I was asking, so I'd keep my eyes out for proper ones is all.

THANKS

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Still dont understand-your quote referred to my description of EaziFix as a drive imager,not SP.
    If you refer to your own thread -Backup for Newbies etc--you will find you were recommended SP on page 1.
    You keep on asking the same questions,but completely ignoring all the answers.

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I'm asking ---> "What Are Considered Proper Imagers"

Don't worry about one in particular, I was not referring to any of them when I asked this question, I have not asked the same questions over, and I've never asked this before, and I have not ignored anything in the other post as well.

Again I'm only asking a question, this has no reference or meaning to any software.

Now with this in mind, what are considered proper imagers?

Also while we are on this subject of 'Proper Imagers' which ones would not be considered proper, and what makes one proper and one not?

So any software that doesn't work as a virtual world is proper, and that's all there is to proper and not?

THANKS

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

DasFox

The problem is you are asking which programs fit a term, which we don't understand, and then to confuse the issue more you are asking us for the definition of your term.

i've used a lot of imaging software, and image and restore, all the time and I don't have a clue as to what a "proper imaging program" might be.

Pete

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok I was just asking because of Hairy Coo's reply to someone mentioning this:

I was just trying to figure out what he meant by that is all.

THANKS

6. Hairy Coo

As I have already mentioned,this quote was referring to EaziFix,which is an ISR,not a fully fledged imaging app, such as SP.
    The imaging part of EF is basically an add on and doesnt work anywhere as well as SP as regards imaging.
    Just as SP isnt an ISR,EF isnt an efficient imaging app.
    I suggested a while ago that you trial a few of the apps.,which are suggested in your thread and which relate to this question.
    So far I have suggested FDISR-Rescue,Rollback or EaziFix,DriveImageXML and said SP was the best-others have given other advice.
    Is there a reason why you neither trial nor research independently?
    Had you done so,all this would have been obvious.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I can only offer programs i've had success with for years, that "ONE" being Paragon Drive BackUp Pro. the newest addition i trust just as much and even more so in some ways, thats DriveSnapshot, if it helps at all for you.

SP as good as it is doesn;t appeal to me but thats only a personal preference and in no way do i discount it's reliable abilities plus useful features.

8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Going on the theory that Acronis TI has spoiled my SP3 experience I have re-checked the manual instructions for TI removal.

Removal included the procedure, using standalone SnapAPI uninstaller & choosing Uninstall Acronis.

Removal included running 'Acronis Scheduler Manager' execute the following commands: service stop, service uninstall, exit.

Recently re-checked all items on the uninstall list. All are gone

Ran Reg heal, Regseeker, JV16 reg.

Now just moment ago I searched the registry for 'Acronis' & came up with the following:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C539A15A-3AF9-4c92-B771-50CB78F5C751} Acronis true image shell context menu extension REG-SZ
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C539A15B-3AF9-4c92-B771-50CB78F5C751} " " " " " " "
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C539A15A-3AF9-4c92-B771-50CB78F5C751}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C539A15B-3AF9-4c92-B771-50CB78F5C751}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{1860459D-4692-4825-B761-44A725991050} Acronis Devices
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{1860459D-4692-4825-B761-44A725991050} AcronisDevices
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{1860459D-4692-4825-B761-44A725991050}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{1860459D-4692-4825-B761-44A725991050}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{1860459D-4692-4825-B761-44A725991050}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{1860459D-4692-4825-B761-44A725991050}

Could these be a problem for SP3 & do ya think they can be deleted?

Thanks & Take Care
    Rico

9. Hairy Coo

Rico,

Initially I carried out the procedures, which I previously outlined to you.

Then I did a registry search and deleted ALL references to Acronis.

Then used Locate32 and did a further search for Acronis True Image files etc which had been left over and deleted them.

The end result should be zero ATI files etc in the system and SP then worked perfectly.

Get Locate32 here

ps make sure snapman is gone from system 32/drivers

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

the remnants in registry are just innocent bloat,beware of the ati driver,this is the culprit,to kill it take care !

11. Hairy Coo

Huupi you are missing the point-we know snapman is the culprit and how to kill it has been been discussed,but if its removal and other possibilities doesnt work, which it didnt for me, then remove the lot and and you wont have any problems,sounds logical doesnt it?
    Just removing snapman and its reg entries didnt fix it

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

strange in general leftovers in registry after uninstalling app. isn't a problem,only registry entries related to an orphaned driver like snapman or rss.vss from PD are bit of problem,insofar my personal experience.
    Once i uninstalled PD8,cleaned the system from any references to it,except for their driver[rss.vss]no problems afterthat,just orphaned but at the moment i tryed to delete from the 32 folder it was misery to no end.

13. Hairy Coo

Snapman is in system 32/drivers,but you cant just try to delete that obviously-it doesnt work -all the associated entries have to go first,but apart from that -a lot of others

14. Long View

Long View Registered Member

SP is certainly fast but on three clean PC installs with different specifications I have been unable to beat the times of Acronis 9, 9.1 and 10. To be fair imaging in less than a minute is hard to beat.

15. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Hairy -
    I state that I used "SnapAPI installer" ran it & chose Uninstall Acronis per the instruction sheet. Later search of files I found "snapman.sys" which deleted with no problem.

I deleted the registry entries "see post #33.

I have also searched registry & files for the following:

snapman.*, trueimage.*, = nothing found.

ATI.* registry = nothing found

ATI.* files =

c:\windows\system32\dllcache "application extension" 94kb 8/17/01

c:\windows\system32\dllcache "system file" same date

ati*.* = 709 files "by the way locate 32, is nice, thanks"

I believe the ATI files are, from when this machine had a ATI video card, currently running NVIDIA based card.

Of the 709 files ATI*.* = no reference to Acronis

I remember long ago when removing the ATI catalyst driver, using there removal tool

Anyway to further ID the two ati files, does it matter, & anything else I should look for or try?

Thanks & Take Care
    Rico

16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Yep, different configurations may produce different results.

17. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

hard to believe,figures,numbers and timings please . o_O

18. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Sorry - no longer have SP - Only used it for testing. I did give timings in several other posts. If you are really interested you may find them.

Using the an Acronis CD I have just made an image of C: on a core 2 duo E6300 ( temperature of cores 35*c and 35*c) SATA 150 to SATA 150 ( drive temps 28*c source, 30*c archive drive) 50 seconds to image windows XP and programs 2.4 gig before compression. If I optimised my system time taken would be 41 seconds.

I can't remember the exact times for SP but they were slower.

All I'm trying to say here is that SP is NOT necessarily better then Acronis. For some SP will be better and for others, like me, Acronis is better.

decided to try SP again. Not sure what has changed since last tested but today SP3.1.03 took 44 seconds compared to Acronis 10 taking 50 seconds.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

With all the recent reviews that been pouring in lately it can't help but raises some doubts or at least suggests SP is regarded as MAYBE just a flash-in-the-pan app now?

I recall all the buzz once over it when first being released, then followed by the lengthy waiting and high expectations, along with the overwhelming satisfaction much spoken of over it's unique features and such, but now it seems all that is suddenly worn thin to quieting down.

Does it have to do at all with the limitations mentioned before as for one having to rely solely on a CD XPpe i think to carry out certain duties as well as not being able to image and/or restore a COMPLETE drive?

Just curious because from this end the former excitement seems to be showing signs of some waining now.

Any thoughts, or ideas to this assumption?

20. lucas1985

Guess that you haven't read the PC Mag review of SP:
    Some folks use the KIS (Keep It Simple) approach and do the backups from the recovery CD. Other folks install SP to take advantage of the incremental backups and other features.
    Every disk-imaging app needs an alternate environment (recovery CD, another Windows installation) to recover the active, in use partition. SP is no exception.
    SP backups and restore complete drives, but with a different (and somewhat awkward) procedure.

21. Hairy Coo

Easter,
    By far the largest market for Sp would be commercial,which we dont hear about,so it stands to reason not so much attention seems to being paid to it in the home market, as when it was introduced,with a couple of "revolutionary" features(HIR and outstandingly fast incremental backups),plus of course its outstanding reliability.
    It is also the fastest of the imagers,based on personal experiences of most users and here
    test.

As with all imagers,it wont restore the active drive for obvious reasons except with the restoration CD ,but certainly will image/restore a complete drive except if its been partitioned-nothing unusual about that.

All in all,you really should try it for an extended period-you would grow to like it-possibly the GUI isnt as "technical" as Paragon-but its what is underneath that counts.

22. Hairy Coo

Rico-

Cant really remember more,if everything has been deleted,SP should perform with its legendary rocket,fastest of all qualities-is it working?
    Dont forget the incremental/reboot question-do you think this may have anything to do with it?

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Ok, fair enough, and of course thanks for the feedback and some public magazine reviews, plus i tend to agree but had forgotten the target audience at the start wasn't exactly the home/end user market in mind to begin with anyway.

But it might still be considered disturbing in the way that other members have more or less stayed on with their tried and true backup app rather then moving over to SP given it's many expections and much hyped over features which made for quite the stir for a time.

24. Hairy Coo

Easter
    If you use one of the others,which you do, and are happy with it,why change.
    The catalyst for me was when I had built a new computer and True Image was just completely useless for transferring-but now I have SP can see many other advantages.

25. lucas1985

If it isn't broken, don't fix it ;)
    Switching from one disk-image backup app to another should only be considered in the case of failures to backup/restore, abnormally slow speed, lack of features or lack of support.
    I, for instance, use one of the slowest and less feature-packed imaging app (Drive Image XML), but it's rock solid and the price can't be beaten (free) I'm starting to fiddle with batch scheduling and the like.
    I even have the free Paragon but I stay with DIXML. I will only switch if DXIML fails to backup/restore and if I ever switch, Storagecraft and/or Terabyte can count me as another customer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.