Alternatives to Process Guard

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TerryWood, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

I am reviewing my security software and currently have:
    Ewido 4 on demand only
    Avast Home
    Comodo Firewall
    Process Guard
    Spyware Terminator
    GesWALL
    DropMyRights
    SpywareBlaster
    WinPatrol

Given that my version of Process Guard is a little long in the tooth 3.1.5 is their an alternative that forum members could suggest, perhaps free?

Thanks for your help

Terry

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Are you unhappy with PG and is there any reason why you are not updating to v.3.4.05?

If you are looking at alternatives, System Safety Monitor is worth a look at and they have a free version available.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  3. .....

..... Registered Member

That link of BlackCat's should be this

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Thanks ..... ;)

I have now corrected my first post.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Systm Safety Monitor, the best replacement. U get a lot of control over ur system, I especially like the registry module.

6. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Thanks to everyone so far for your contributions. Most helpful

PS How does full version ProcessGuard compare with free version SSM?

Terry

7. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there

I do not think that there is any comparison, IMHO. If you have a full license for PG I would stick with that an upgrade to the latest version v.3.4.05:D

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

One other major difference is support. SSM folks are Johnny on the spot to help you.

9. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

atm PG cannot come even close as to SSM .. not as a program and certainly not 'supportwise' ..
    Maybe this is provocative .. could be .. I'm aware .. but personly I am just looking at my facts, believes ...
    One of those believes is that Processguard has beaten his own ? .. by his own popularity ? by being one of the founders imho .. here in Belgium we have a special expression about something like this .. in any case: I hope everything is still allright and hope they all have some time to surf or som'thing :)

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

There is definitely a comparison. I remeber when SSM was beta, it was awarded as second or third top HIPS by kareldj HIPS testing ( PG, SSM and ViGuard) and the current free edition I think is at least better than that beta one.

11. controler

controler Guest

SSM has been around for years but I have not tried it in a few years. Does it block new services and drivers now? And does this new version have exe protection?
    Isn't Appdefend close to PG? I have two Lic of PG but as Infinity mentioned, support sucks with PG. I don't even see many questions being answered by other members anymore. At least not mine anyway. It may be time for me to swith to Jason's software for me. He's a good kid. ;)

12. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Snap I ran SSM a long time ago in beta and then moved on but it looks very good now

http://syssafety.com/product.html

SSM keeps track of the activity of all applications already started or being started and allows you to control:

* which application can be started;
    * which child application can be started by a selected one;
    * which parent applications are allowed to start a selected one;
    * whether a selected application is allowed to start if it was modified;
    * whether a selected application is allowed to install a driver;
    * whether a selected application is allowed to perform code-injection or DLL-injection;
    * create/terminate a process (application);
    * suspend a process and resume it afterwards;
    * watch the list of DLLs loaded by a selected application.
    * low level disk access (v2.1+)
    * low level keyboard access (v2.1+)

Tracking and blocking changes in the following important operating system parts:

* Windows registry;
    * drivers and services state;
    * INI-files;
    * "Startup" item of Start menu;
    * Microsoft Internet Explorer settings.

Window management:

* watches running applications windows;
    * runs "black list" of applications windows, closes "unwanted" applications windows automatically;
    * browses the list of applications windows created in the system;
    * shows invisible applications windows, hides visible ones, enables user input for "locked down" applications windows.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

thanks for posting it in detail. Personally i like it much better than PG. As afr as I know PG does not care for child parent specifications? Am I true?

14. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

If I understand your meaning you are correct

SSM and Appdefend are similar in this respect

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think so but SSM has also other modules like registry defense.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

SSM Does allow for dealing with the Child/Parent relationship. They have however changed the terminalogy to Actor/Object.

When I first tried SSM it wouldn't even install, and now it is running smoothly here. Last version of the beta's of PG I tried were unstable. From reading the forum I am not sure that has changed.

Then there is support. SSM has been responsive. Posted a problem on the forum and had an email with detailed request for info next morning. They worked with me until I realized there really wasn't a problem. PG support.... no comment.

17. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

SSM has had numerous updates and enthusiastic support, to the extent that it now offers many options that PG lacks, and the next version looks like it will provide more significant enhancements.

As it stands, the only distinct feature of PG is its Secure Message Handling option which, in all fairness, needs more work to be usable with many programs. If you use this, then that would justify keeping (or upgrading) PG.

However SSM and PG can be run together (though you may wish to disable PG's Execution Protection in favour of SSM's Application Control) and this would provide the easiest way to compare them. Note though that SSM's prices will go up 40% on August 1st (see System Safety Monitor - 40% price rise soon) so it should be worth deciding quickly.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

For me the best advantage of SSM is registry protection that makes it rock solid and more comprehensive in protection. I also love its GUI disconnected mode.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can,t guess any good use of this approach except for a comparison and here also conflicts might be invited.

20. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I've not encountered any conflicts and have been running both together for a couple of years now. The benefits come down to both programs taking a different approach (PG's being process protection, SSM's being application control) and, as mentioned above, PG does offer a couple of features not (yet) offered by SSM.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ah, I see ur nick now!!

Just joking BTW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.