Alternatives to locate32

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by raakii, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I found loctae 32 to be very fast for indeexed file searching,but it takes along time for index updation . Is there anything fatser than this for desktop search.

2. Isso

Isso Developer

Search GT - fast and no indexing, plus it's integrated into Explorer. But it costs 20$

3. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

4. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Love Locate32 but use Everything from voidtools when I don't feel liking waiting for the index to update. It's very fast for doing searching on the fly (faster than you would think possible).

5. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Yes i am already using everything for all my drives(NTFS)as its better but is there any way to make it update on demando_O .It takes 7 seconds for update on my pc.

Not as fast as everything from voidtools .Takes time for individual searches.
    Is this instant?, i find it little difficult to use.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

7. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Yes none of them in that earlier discussion is good as locate32, though i have been using everything search for the past two months,(which also takes little time for update.)

8. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

10. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I find no software is better than everything search.I have seen everything search updates on eveytime it is invoked , is there any way to update the index only when the user wants to as in locate32 , because that would mean searching old files would be easier.In Case any member here knows how to activate this feature please post it here.

11. Pliskin

Tools-Options-Volumes and uncheck Monitor changes. That's it.

I gave you the link where you can make feature suggestion to make this step faster. Also, do you use "Exclude" feature? You can make "profiles" which will scan different partitions.

I use PowerPro, so when I Left click on Everything's toolbar button it opens Everything which scans only C partition, when I Middle click on the same button it opens Everything which scans only D partition and when I Right click that button it only scans my E partition.
    PowerPro.png

12. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I would rather use locate32 for old files and everything search for new files then to folllow this lengthy procedure .I waiting to see newer options for database update in the next release .Thanks.
    http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68

13. Pliskin

Or you can make a new folder i.e. "Everything-old files" and copy there Evereything.exe, launch it and uncheck "monitor changes". Now you can use first Everything for new files and second Everything for old files. Thanks for giving me idea!

14. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Yes that would be fine too.

15. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Cathy is very fast at searching, and you have to manually update its catalogs, so it might be a good fit for you.

16. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I still prefer Avafind after all these years. It updates in realtime but you can set manual updates every X number of hours.The scoutbot is nice too, so you can scan the latest files.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Glad that was mentioned finally.

AFAIK AvaFind is by far and away the most quickest local search engine i ever laid eyes on. From the moment you type the first letter in your search it loads a huge list and the more letters you add the narrower the search becomes before it zeroes in on the exact search you need. Especially useful for multi-partitions too.

Not seen one faster then AvaFind!

18. Fat Man

Fat Man Registered Member

Avafind is in the same league as locate32 , it does not match the speed of "Everything".Refreshing cache in everything takes 8 seconds for 250gb hard disk in "evrything", but it takes 230 sec in Avafind.

19. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

+1
    And EveryThing is freeware while AvaFind is a stall shareware (i.e. the AF's free download is limited in many of its pro version's fonctionalities, with annoying nag popups telling you so).

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Me too. lol :D :D

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried EveryThing. It,s just amazing. Thanks for the tip. It has portable version too. Very good work indeed. I am really so impressed.

22. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Not a bit surprising, they told us that you are this kinda guy to try just every things... The nearer I can think of is probably this other similar blazing girl, fast Cathy, but she's less featured!

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I got both. Dumped Locate32.

Thanks

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

hmmm... I can,t understand why u want to do this. It updates its data base so quickly that you don,t need to bother for this IMO.

25. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Cathy can catalog removable media, while Everything cannot. You can use the Comment field in Cathy as a subset specifier, using terms such as 'Music'. Thus, for example, you can make Cathy restrict searches to just your music collection. Everything seems to require the presence of a USN journal on a volume in order to function. A downside to Cathy is that you have to manually update the hard disk based catalogs, unless you schedule the command line version. Everything can do some searches Cathy cannot, such as regular expression searches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.