Alternative to Unlocker?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jpcummins, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I recently had folders, some empty others with files, that I could not delete. I tried everything that I knew, right click then delete, CMD rmdir etc. I made sure that I had ownership as well as permissions and effective permissions check marked. Some of the folders and files I finally was able to delete but there were a couple that I could not.

I downloaded Unlocker and with the program I was able to delete the files. However, to do so I was forced to install the BING Toolbar which I was able to later uninstall.

My question is does anyone know how I can install Unlocker without being forced to install the BING toolbar? And, in lieu of that does anyone know of a program/utility that works as well or better than Unlocker?

As always I appreciate all replies and I would thank you in advance.

John

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

3. jpcummins

Thanks Sully for the links, I appreciate it very much. I did find a program that seems to be what I may need in the future called FileASSASSIN and I am keeping Unlocker as I know it does what I want. It seems just when I think I am beginning to know what I am doing something comes up letting me know that I don't. If it wasn't for the professionals on this forum I would definitely be up a creek without a paddle.

If one of the forum moderators would delete this thread, unless you think it might be beneficial to another member, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

John

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Use the "portable version" of UnLocker. Just used it myself the other day and no signs of any toolbar ;)

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

sometimes on my desktop there are files i can't delete.

often it's just a matters of right-clicking the desktop and Refresh it.

7. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Unlocker is the best Period!

Actually you chose to install it yourself by not unchecking the box "Install the new Bing Bar"

"- Promotional feature: Fully optional eBay shortcuts, Bing or Quickstores toolbar depending on location."

You have to wait 30 seconds for the "next" tab to show after you uncheck the box its probably to make you read about bing toolbar wile your waiting, if more people would donate, than the author wouldnt have to use other means of support, but somebody has to pay the bills!
    2010-09-17_164401.png

Follow the same step when asked to create "eBay shortcuts"

When you Install Software always be sure to go threw each step instead of just clicking next as fast as you can, I used to do this years ago when I was new to Machines, then wonder why a toolbar or other crap got installed!:D

Hope this helps!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

9. jpcummins

Warlockz,

Thanks for the information. When I deleted the check mark from "Install the new Bing Bar" I was returned to the main page. I was not aware that if I waited 30 seconds the Next Button would appear. And like I said in my post Unlocker did exactly what I wanted. Again thanks!

John

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This website is reported as unsafe by the new IE9.
    I've just checked with Chrome, and it is reported safe.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.