Alternative to Eraser

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by WSFuser, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I just need a utility (preferable freeware) with context menus to shred the recycle bin and files/folders.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Eraser will do that now. Do you want to get rid of Eraser?

3. WSFuser

I know Eraser does what I need, but I find it slow and buggy.

4. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Eraser is about the best for free IMHO. What version of Eraser are you using? I have 5.6 and have never had any problems with it. I think the newest version is 5.82 though.

5. WSFuser

I was using version 5.82. I guess I should try a previous version?

I would like to find an alternative though.

6. Firebytes

I used a program called BcWipe once upon a time and I don't remember ever having any issues with it. I can't recommend it though as it's been way to long ago to remember a lot about it. If you want to try the newer versions you have to buy it, but the freeware version is still out there (at least it says it's free). http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/LFWV/BcWipe.html

You might also check reviews at some of the download sites...but hey, you already knew that.

7. Firebytes

Oops, I meant the newer version of BcWipe must be bought if you intend to keep after trial is over (shareware). Check out Jetico's website for newest version.

8. WSFuser

Disregarding that its shareware, I dont like that it takes several clicks just to erase the recycle bin. Not too bad of a program though.

9. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

WSFuser, go for version 5.7, that is the best one and was made before they were bought by heidi IIRC. About the speed, that is limited to the speed of your disk, so you won't be able to really control that one that well.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

10. Firebytes

WSFuser I was mistaken I have version 5.7 as well. I checked and my setup file for it is "Eraser57setup". For some reason however, the uninstall shortcut for it says "Uninstall Eraser 5.6", strange.

11. WSFuser

I hope v5.7 works better.

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

R-Wipe&Clean has 5 wiping algorithms for unused space on disks and files :

1. Zeroes (1) : filling with zeroes through one pass. Fast
    2. Pseudo-random (1) : pseudo-random numbers through one pass. Fast. Conceals the fact that the data is wiped
    3. DoD 5220.22-M (3) : Fills with a special number pattern through 3 passes. Slow. Very secure
    4. DoD 5200.28-STD (7) : fills with a special number pattern through 7 passes. Very slow. Very secure.
    5. Peter Gutmann (35) : fills with a special number pattern through 35 passes. Horrible slow. Military-level-secure.

The Gutmann algorithm is obvious for nuts.

R-Wipe&Clean cleans ALOT more as you can read on this website :
    http://www.r-wipe.com/

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Many consider Eraser v5.8x problematic, and suggest staying with v5.7. It's an ongoing saga in several forums.

14. HAN

HAN Registered Member

It's Eraser 5.7 for me too! :) Never had any issues with it... something 5.8 just can't say (by many accounts I read.)

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Eraser by Heidi for me too. Version 5.7 AND 5.8, depending on what snapshot. So far no problems but that's likely because i never wipe the whole drive with it at all, only individual files and folders on the 7 pass method which runs quite fast in my experiences with it over the years and even now.

I generally use RESTORATION to "Delete Completely" even erased files/folders then the "file records" on a regular basis to keep the drive heads from stumbling over something readable, same for Defrag. Gives a little extra boost in performance for me.

If it's a FULL hard drive wipe i do the zero thing with KillDisk as recommended.

As to alternative for Eraser, maybe ErikAlbert's suggestion? I might look at that one myself.

16. ErikAlbert

I ran R-Wipe&Clean to clean the free space of both harddisk with zeroes (1 pass).
    1. it starts cleaning the free space, which is as fast as my zero tool. (20 minutes per harddisk)

2. then it wiped the Master File Table (MFT) Records. This lasted very long.
    C-disk 197000+ records and D-disk 37000+ records.
    You can unmark this option and frankly I don't know what MFT-records are.

3. then it removed temporary files, which also took some time.
    It took about 3 hours for two harddisks (2 x 70gb) in total. This is a night job.

You can imagine how long it will last when you use the Gutmann algorithm.
    The only strange thing was that Windows warned me that my harddisk was almost full. I ignored it, because that was absurd.
    When R-Wipe was finished everything was back to normal.

17. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

That is because when the program is clearing the free space, it just creates temporary files until the entire harddrive is full, creating each of the files according to how you told it to wipe the drive (such as files that are only 1's, random, been created 7 times, etc.), then it just deletes those files.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

18. ErikAlbert

OK. That explains it. Thanks. This was the first time I zeroed free space.

19. WSFuser

Im starting to think Eraser is just slow. When I used Ace Utilities to wipe my recycle bin it never took as much time (for similar amount of files). I use the pseudorandom 1 pass method for both programs btw.

I will give R-Wipe&Clean a try, but I was hoping for, at least, a lighter utility.

20. ErikAlbert

I just wanted a tool that cleans more than CCleaner. I don't need R-Wipe that much because my freeze storage cleans my computer on reboot, but I need R-Wipe sometimes to clean my freeze storage.

21. WSFuser

So does it clean more than CCleaner? I could just use R-Wipe&Clean + some registry cleaner, instead of a full utility suite.

22. ErikAlbert

R-Wipe doesn't clean registry, but I never trusted CCleaner for registry cleaning.
    You better trial R-Wipe, it's too much to sum it up.

23. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

imho
    Eraser 5.7 still the sweetest.

Be very careful with anything over v5.7: has been somewhat of a fiasco unfortunately.

lots of other commercial tools
    I also used BCWipe in the past : good option also

24. WSFuser

Ive decided to do just that.

I have not yet tested R-Wipe&Clean with lots of files, but hopefully its faster than Eraser.

25. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks; I used to use anti-tracks and East tec Eraser, and liked them. Then I tested R-wipe and clean and fell into it. It has more options than the other two, and cleaned disk more thoroughly. I also use its other product; R-studio(data,files recovery, undelete). R-tools makes a number of good tools, but a little known to this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.