Alternative for Online Armor?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder if there is any freeware alternative for Online Armor?

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Not for everything OA does . I expect you would need 3 or 4 freebies to get close to OA s protection .

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I installed trial version of OA, but i feel it is making all the system a bit slow just the same as i felt with Prevx. Am I true?

4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

no real slow down on my system

- SNS makes my boot longer as does Outpost but AO does not make much difference

5. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

No slow down on my system either.:)

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not here either. Is the issue price or computer speed?

7. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I don`t even know it`s on my machine.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am using NIS and MSAS.Then I added Antihook( fingerprint mode) and PG free learning mode, just to try these. Then I added OA and felt my systemis slow. May be a compatibility issue. Anybody try all these? After i uninstalled I did feel a difference, any explanation?

9. muf

muf Registered Member

Well i don't see the point of having PG, AH and OA as they pretty much perform the same function. One of the three maybe, two if you want to be paranoid, but three is simply overkill and isn't required. Try disabling PG and AH and running AO on it's own.

About the slowdown. I suspect one of those other two are conflicting, or simply having all three running is too much, as they will be fighting each other for monitoring the same area's of your system.

Also, tell us a little about the spec of your pc.

muf

10. .....

..... Registered Member

aigle, i found Anti-Hook in finger print mode caused quite some lag on my system. Maybe its this opposed to OA that causes the slowdowns? :cool:

11. Skytrooper

Skytrooper Registered Member

I replaced Prevx1 with Online Armor and believe it improved my system's performance. I certainly don't think OA slowed it down any. I also haven't noticed any conflicts between ProcessGuard (full) and Online Armor. However, I could do without OA's nag screen insisting on an Internet connection upon rebooting (before it's even physically possible for me to establish a connection using dial-up).

12. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

PG , OA , and AH do not all do basically the same thing . Of the three , OA offers more security overall . AH and PG are very close to being the same . The suggestion should be , use OA and add 1 of the other 2 IF you wish . Nice layering that way . If I were to choose only one , it would have to be OA . More security as stated earlier . The difference between PG and AH is not much .

13. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Sorry Skytrooper - this is for automatic updates - I am planning a service release in the next 24h - I will try and get a fix for this one in there.

Cheers

Mike

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have Pentium M 1.73, 512, 40 GB

I just uninstalled all 3, did a systemresore to 1 week back. OA I will not try as it was just trial. So from PG free or AntiHook which one I should choose. I am leaning towards Antihook.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  15. SPEEDY6128

SPEEDY6128 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.