Alternate Data Streams?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by angus49, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angus49

angus49 Registered Member

I ran Adaware today and had it scan for alternate data streams. It listed everything in my FD-ISR image folder. As ADS's can be quite dangerous I am concerned as to why this is happening and whether the ADS's should be in my image files. Also why does FD-ISR need to run as a service? I blocked it from running as a service but still see ISRService running in my processes and services. FD-ISR also wanted to run as a server with internet permissions, why? Thanks for any info.

Ed

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Ed

First I wouldn't mess with any of the FDISR services. They are there for a reason, and blocking then will only cause you trouble. Secondly FDISR doesn't use ADS that I am aware of which makes me most likely suspect Adaware is giving false positives.

Pete

3. angus49

Pete,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll contact Lavasoft support regarding this issue. Thanks again,

Ed

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

angus49

Ad-Aware has a rather peculiar reputation over the years of targetting "good" programs, especially security programs so i would be very wary of trusting that relic that's seen it's better days long past.

I personally seen it target SpyBot S&D and others in the past and at my last check it still targets ScriptSentry which is an important filter to keep .vbs/.hta./.reg etc. files from auto-launching on their own before you had a chance to review their content first whether they are safe or not.

You would be better off trialing SuperAntiSpyware which you can upgrade to pro version after trial peried that is much better at detections plus removals of the worse/latest malwares/rootkits; and the vendor regularly answers concerns right here in these forums and addresses all issues deemed important quickly.

5. angus49

Easter,

Thanks for replying. I'll keep this in mind about AdAware. As now listed in my signature, I do us SAS. I'm going to look into some of your listed programs too. Thanks again,

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.