Alternate browsers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Would like to get a variety of opinions on this topic. What are any pro's/con's of using a browser other than IE? Don't get me wrong I've already done a good deal of research into this matter, but actually came away even more confused than I was origionally because there are so many conflicting opinions.

Some people swear by Firefox, and some swear about it. I've heard good things about Opera in general. What differences in these browsers makes one superior to another in your opinion (if any)? What nifty plug-in's do they have, and are any actually usefull? I've heard that Firefox is "safer" than IE somehow, not sure how that's possible. But I've also heard that not all sites will work with it, in fact I think I heard the compatibility was somewhere around 85%? This would be a pretty big con and would probably keep me from making the switch.

I've been using IE my entire life, never felt compelled to switch at any point but just now am considering alternatives. Would just like to hear some opinions and reviews from people who have tried others.

2. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

After years of hearing about IE's security holes. and dealing with some of its quirks, I decided to try something else. Went to k-meleon and love it. Fast and light. I don't know if it is the best browser, but it is what I am used to now.

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

If IE is not causing you any grief you should stick to it. IE7 is not a bad browser at all.
    I have tried them all, well may browser anyway :) I have chosen Firefox because of the plugins. I can make Firefox work the way I want to. Before I experimented with the plugins I dint know how I wanted to work with a browser :)
    I dont like ads, scripts, flash or any other annoyance so I can use a plugin to easily get rid of them or choose when to see them. I browse on my terms. They give me freedom, simple as that. If IE had the same freedom and still was as fast as it is now I probably would use it.

The plugins does slow down the browser a bit but not so much it out weights the positive things with them. I have lately looked at K-meleon because it is much faster but it doesnt yet do all the things I want it to, but I am keeping my eyes on it.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Use Firefox and/or Opera along with IE and you will see the difference.
    Firefox has also an unique "Find in this page" function. I never found that in any other browser or it was a bad imitation.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

"Sites don't open in FF"

This is a wrong statement. Rather, the author of the site wrote the code badly that non-IE engines cannot effectively render the pages.

IE has the LOWEST compliance with international web standards. LOWEST. This means that anyone making pages to open correctly in IE is making his site non-compliant. You would be surprised how much bad code and sites are out there.

IE has very bad compliance, we said - but it also does not support CSS properly. The level of support the IE offers is about equal to what was OK 6 years ago. Completely outdated.

IE is embedded in the OS and cannot be removed.

IE is not portable.

IE is a bad clone of superior alternatives.

Its extensions cost money.

It has lots of vulnerabilities, most of which are barely patched, after a very long time, some remain unpatched for months, others are labeled as "features", and yet more are kept hidden or unknown, because IE is a closed source.

On the other hand:

Firefox is multi-platform, open-source alternative, with high web compliance.

Opera is a multi-platform, close-source alternative, with high web compliance.

Both offer portable versions that can be used off USB sticks.

Both offer lots of great extras that you can never have in IE, even for lots of money.

Both have very few vulnerabilities, these are quickly and efficiently patched.

Firefox has an extra edge in having hundreds of excellent and free extensions, which can be used to significantly increase the functionality of the browser.

Regarding safety:

IE is easily murdered by a bit of crafty code.

There is no working code, whatsoever, that can "subvert" FF / Opera. There are some proof of concepts, but there are usually the food of MSc students, as they make for a nice subject for thesis.

IE represent the evil of the greedy corporations. Opera represents the tranquility of the somewhat free, somewhat expensive Scandinavia. And Firefox represents the free, Utopian wold.

Mrk

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Firefox and Opera enable faster, safer, better, more productive and more enjoyable browsing than IE.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It was true, talking about IE6, but IE7 is much more better (default settings improved).

Security vulnerabilities: Opera 9 - 4 of 4 fixed, FF2 - 3 of 6 fixed, IE7 - 7 of 9 fixed.
    Note: IE7 in XP is affected by IE6 files, due to what Vista's IE7 has only 2 vulnerabilities.
    Anyway, security is not a issue, when you choose a browser, it depends mostly on settings.

Firefox is the best browser, because simply put, you will get a plain template at first.
    Then you will choose plugins you like, so you will get exactly, what you want it to have.

Opera is one the other hand all in one solution. You do not have to install anything for it.
    But setting up Opera can be tricky, just give it a try and you will see, if you like it or not.

IE7 is an ergonomic browser, but unfortunatelly you can not customize its view too much.
    IE has all a good browser needs (many advanced options), but nothing more and that is it.

Talking about speed: Opera renders pages fastest, followed by IE and FF closes the line.
    There are many other browsers as well: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Browsers

You can stick with IE, but you might find some features you really want in other browsers.
    Or maybe you will find out, that IE is better than others, but at least you will be sure then.

You might find usefull IE7Pro addon for IE7. For FF2: NoScript & CookieSafe. For both: FDM.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

All of the above is true. Using my experience, I installed FF and Opera side by side and used them both for an extended period of time. In the end I chose Firefox. You may like Opera best, that would be up to you. Both are better than IE, although version 7 isn't too shabby either. The difference is that IE's skin is FF's basic starting skin. The extensions in FF are almost inexhaustible as are the skins. I haven't used Opera in a while so their supply of add-ons is a little fuzzy for me. :)

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am a hard core Opera user but I do see people try it and drop it in a couple of days. There is a learning curve in setting up Opera and getting the skin you want for that special look you want.But once you get it set (which most trial users don't take the time to do) you would love the way it works.But in the end it is all about personal preference. But if you do try it please give it a long enough trial and do take the time to set it up a bit. I thank if you do that you will also love it.

bigc

EDIT= by the way, there are hundreds of skins for opera available.

10. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

K-Mel here as well!
    Agreed. IE is a fine browser aside from the obvious security issues, and those issues can be minimized if you're aware/educated.
    I don't think there is a "best" browser. It's all subjective. What works for you?
    One of my favorite K-Mel features (aside from it's vast customization options) is it's Privacy Bar, where you can instantly see/change handling of cookies, java, javascript, popups, as well as clear cache, cookies, passwords, etc.
    Download some alt. browsers and kick the tires (they're free).

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Lucid Dream,

A good idea would be to have a look at this site, it's a great guide

http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/

Then if you have a USB stick go here and download Opera 9.1 for USB.

http://opera-usb.com/operausben.htm

Download to your desktop and then, with your usb stick plugged in, unzip/install to the drive your usb is plugged into. Run the .exe when it's on your usb and give opera a try. (the tutorial will give you a bit of idea whats what)

Once you remove the usb, it leaves no trace on your hard drive.

Just to show, that I'm impartial (even though I use opera!) here is where you can try out firefox on a usb stick

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Then when you have had a play, and feel comfortable with your choice, you can install the full version of one of them on your computer.

12. ErikAlbert

An USB stick is a device that acts like a mini-harddisk to store anything ?

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It sure is:thumb:

14. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

BOB D:

Agreed: The privacy bar is a great feature of K-Meleon.

15. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I know it's a matter of opinion and ultimately I will arrive at an (educated) decision based on my own experiences. I just wanted to gather some opinions from people who have "been there, done that" so I perhaps get an idea of what to expect... and mission accomplished! As usual prompt responses and excellent insight, it's much appreciated.

Security is not a priority for me (at least not from a browser) because I like to think I am somewhat aware/educated as to what I'm doing. Speed & reliability are my most important criteria and from what I see IE7 is just fine for my needs. Regardless I always like to experiment and try other things thru good old fashioned T&E, so I will give others a try.

16. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

Hey, Erik, Opera has long before FF included this function: just type . (dot) and the string you wish to search for...

For a heavy browser user like me (like over 200 pages opened at the same time), Opera 9 is the fastest one for me (XP Pro SP2) like 4x IE and 2x FF...
    I also used FF in the past before Opera had a stable version that suited me, but it does start lingering with many pages.

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Just like using Process Explorer instead of task manager, a defragger instead of windows built in etc you must try it.
    Believe me, IE is past. When i have to use it to update, argh, stone age my friend, that's what i feel. It's Opera a long time ago, with Opera then beating the crap out of IE7.

Mrk summed it up pretty well. I forgot to mention Firefox, but sure, switch Opera for FF, and the text should be true still. Like he says, FF is customizable (very), Opera built in features rock and lead.

2 cents million dollars

18. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I've been using Firefox since it was first released back in late 2004.

My main reason for ditching IW was that IE performed poorly is printing/downloaded most web pages at MSFT's KB and MSDN sites.
    Makes one wonder what MST uses to develop/test their own web site.

I use IE only:

1. For Windows and Office update.
    2. I still deal with a few web sites that do not work fully, if at all, with Firefox.

As a VB/VBA programmer, I do not like the omission fron Firefox of an interface for VB/VBA programs.

19. ErikAlbert

That's what I heard too, but they also told me that it isn't exactly the same. I stick to Firefox.
    In another thread they told me that PowerShadow was the same and even better than a frozen snapshot of FDISR, I told them it wasn't and proved it.

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm using Opera, it is fast, light, and above all safe: I have never got a prompt from any of my security apps since surfing with it. I've tried Firefox, and it's also very reliable, and perhaps it offers more features than Opera, but in the end my computer seems to be faster using Opera.

21. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Using Opera since years and i only switch sometimes to FF to see some pages Opera does not show becuase of bad programed pages or what ever reasons.

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi, I thought I was getting better at recognizing most of the abbreviations from coming to Wilder's, but in the above replies I got lost. I assume MS stands for Microsoft, but then there's IW, MSFT,KB,MSDN,MST,VB/VBA, and FDISR. Maybe it's too early in the morning for me but when you techi's send replies you should remember that there are folks who aren't as computer literate reading your posts, and don't know every abbreviation. Here's one for you: LSMFT. Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco:D

23. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi Erik,
    Not to persuade you, but that feature is long present in Opera. It even has focus on the words you type. :cool:

Here's a screenshot, but maybe that button is put somewhere else, since you can configure it to your preferences.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/eldarwyn/Wilders/opera_search_in_page.jpg

24. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I have an odd fella' to lend to this topic. My most favorite browser of all time and still is happens to be OPERA, and for years "BUT", i choose to run a very tightly configured IE to do most my browsing. So you might say i use IE even though i prefer OPERA if that makes any sense.

25. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

browser security is arguably the greatest attack vector you have to worry about, it is the horse most exploits ride past the firewall, past the AV and into the inner sanctum, a browser is a very trusted application when its an integral part of your OS as history bears witness

http://secunia.com/product/11/?task=statistics

I too would urge any alternative to IE, why adopt the biggest target with the highest return? when there are so many superior alternatives?

but more importantly change how you surf
    employ a sandbox or other virtualization
    and use it for your other main attack vectors as well, email, instant messaging, trialling exe\installs, viewing data from unknown or untrusted sources
    once youve peeked under their hoods then decide if your going to write em "for real" into the OS or data space

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_cache_poisoning
    http://www.toptechnews.com/story.xhtml?story_id=13000CYNGFGO

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.