alphashield

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Beefcarver, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

any thought of this new product for online protection? Its retailing for around $100 at radio shack. http://www.alphashield.com/

someone might find this usefull.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It sounds as if you could but a router for about $39,95 and do the same thing. ;)

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I concur. I have read the same remark in a qualified post at SWI.

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

But with a router you get 4 ethernet ports - this looks to only have one. Then again, I didn't dig very far on the site :blink:

5. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi guys .
    Detox . You are correct . One in and one out on AS . A router is not exactly the same but , very similar . For the price difference , a router may be a better choice . AS has been around awhile . Made in Canada , I believe . I own one . I like it better than a router alone . Although , I do use a router in conjunction

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Basically AS is a hardware firewall, a router is also for a third the cost.

7. Dave-54321

Dave-54321 Guest

I just wanted to post my personal experience with AlphaShield...

I bought it at Futureshop about a year ago when it was $150. I took it home and tried it out, and returned it and got my money back the very next day. It slowed down my web browsing in general, dramatically reduced connections within eMule and BitTorrent, and had absolutely no way to configure any settings of any sort.

I then spent $40 for a D-Link DI-604 router and has had no impact on connection speeds. And most of all, I was able to configure it to be completely stealthed and was also able to setup port forwarding for certain file sharings applications and so on. I am very pleased with this decision and still continue to use this router.

AlphaShield is a good choice when it comes to somebody (e.g. grandma) who wants to just plug it in and have it work. It is a terrible choice for anybody that actually wants to have control, to have a say in things, to use file sharing applications, and that enjoys tinkering around with settings and so on. Not to mention very expensive. There are no such thing as firmware updates for it, as though it is "perfect" as is, and as though there wont be any changes to internet protocols in the future that wont render it useless.

Anyways, that is just my personal opinion on it.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.