"Allow Global Hook" -- doesnt

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by LuckMan212, Nov 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

Hello,

I find that when PG 3.050 blocks an app from installing global hooks, and then you try to click the "Allow Global Hook" button from the Alerts tab, as shown in the pic below, it doesn't actually enable the "global hooks" checkbox for that app in the Protection tab. Upon the next reboot, the same error will still be shown in the Alerts tab, and the app is still blocked. I have seen some mention of this in other threads but thought it had been addressed.

Is this still a bug? Or am I misunderstanding something again? o_O

http://f2systems.com/files/snap158.gif
    (note: in the pic above, the button is greyed out because in this case I manually added "allow global hooks" for that app -- AFTER confirming that it didn't work by just clicking the button from the alerts tab)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

3. LuckMan212

Kind of... seems like the same bug but in my case, the filenames of the .exes were NOT in the "short file name" format as mentioned by Jason in that other thread. (i.e. it was "program files" not "progra~1") So apparently there may be some other bug here, or it was not totally fixed in the 3.050 release. Hopefully DCS can comment.

4. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

as far as i know, that feature in question has always worked for me.. maybe the problem is specific to "admuncher"..

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  5. LuckMan212

I doubt it... that was just one example I used in my screenshot. I actually had about 8 apps that tried to install hooks, including MS Intellitype, and PGP Tray. The problem affected them all the same way. :doubt:

6. LuckMan212

Hmm.. strangely enough, now it's working. Well... there is definitely something "iffy" surrounding this code. Maybe DCS can investigate. For now, seems to be working normally again. :doubt:

7. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi Luckman, for this particular error did you have Execution protection disabled around the time of the incident?

8. earth1

earth1 Registered Member

On a possibly related note, I have noticed that alerts regarding blocked hooks are much more likely to name the wrong program when Execution Protection is not enabled.

9. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yes that is correct, there is a bug in disabling Execution Protection, it leads to a chance of incorrect processes being identified for the alerts. The next build (due out in a day or two) has addressed this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.