All Restricted Sites are not enabled

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by NeedAKnight, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeedAKnight

NeedAKnight Registered Member

Whenever I open spywareblaster, it says that up ot 49 items have their protection disabled. If I enable all protection to correct this problem and close the program, when I reopen it, it says the same thing. Most of the sites have to do with the coolwwwsearch. Is there anything I can do to correct this problem?
    Thanks for your help

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hello NeedAKnight. :)

Welcome to Wilders.

First off could u tell us what other anti-spyware apps u are running if any?

snowbound

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Even tho you mention sites I do not want to assume wrongly so my question is are these ActiveX, Cookie or Restricted Sites protection ? If ActiveX protection which operating system are you using ? If Win 2000 or XP does that signed on user have Admin rights ?

4. NeedAKnight

The other spyware apps I have are spyware cleaner, winpatrol, and ezarmor pest control. I have windows ME.
    All of the unchecked items are under the restricted sites.
    Does any of this make a difference?
    The spyware cleaner and winpatrol were installed the same time as the spywareblaster. the ezarmor I had installed before.
    Thanks again

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

It could in some instances...

Answering Bubba's question would give us some definitive answers too.

Another thing. U mentioned u have an app called spyware cleaner. Would this be it?

http://www.checkforspyware.com/sc/

If so, take a look here,

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

as it is on the rogue list so u might want to get rid of it....

snowbound

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Sure it makes a difference....the Restricted Sites should be checkable without having Admin previligies....where as with the ActiveX entries one has to have Admin previlgies. Now that we know which protection you were speaking of....we'll attempt to help you figure out which one of your programs is preventing this. Of course as Snowbound pointed out....if you have indeed installed a Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Product....we'll have to determine what if anything else it may be causing problem wise. So yes it is all important in the whole scheme of things when trying to assist folks with problems.

7. NeedAKnight

Thankyou about the advise on the rogue spywarecleaner. I have removed it but the blaster still removes some of the checks on the restricted sites. Anywhere between 20 and 60 each time I open it.

8. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Registered Member

:D It definitely sounds like some malware is changing SpywareBlaster's
    settings; I would recommend you install the good & FREE Ad-Aware
    SE Personal anti-spyware program, and use www.majorgeeks.com as
    the site to download it. Then after it is installed AND you have gotten
    all the latest updates, post a "Full System Scan" setting logfile on the
    forums at www.landzdown.com/index.php . This forum is staffed by
    Experts who use to provide assistance on the now-defunct Lavasoft
    Ad-Aware Support forums .

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'll assume you mean ezarmor pest patrol and not control ? Also....do you ever run online scans or ever used programs such as STOPzilla ?

IMHO....one of the programs you have mentioned or one you have not mentioned is causing items to become unchecked. Once Spywarblaster's protection is set....whether it be ActiveX, Cookies or Restricted Sites protection....it is simply items written to the registry. The program itself does not un-check items unless the user or another program inadvertantly does this.

10. nanette

nanette Guest

I have similar problems: 8 items have protection disabled in Restricted Sites. After checking all 8 of them and clicking "Protect against checked items" they immediately get unchecked again.

I use Windows ME and IE6.
    I have run AntiVir, AdAwareSE and Spybot S&D (all updated ofcourse) and my system was perfectly clean, not even a tracking cookie was found, so I'm not very worried, but I just don't understand it.
    I use DiskCleaner on a daily basis and after reading the posts here I have removed all protected cookies, but that made no difference.

For the record: the items are

680130.net
    AdsOnWWW
    CoolWebSearch (1357)
    Empnads
    HttpwwwAds
    ICanNews
    ICanNews (2)
    Oneclicksearch

Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem?

11. nanette

nanette Guest

I forgot to mention that on my XP laptop with about the same programs SpywareBlaster works as it should.
    In another thread on this forum someone else with ME had unprotected items in IE protection. NeedAKnight and I also have ME . . .

12. TxDoc

TxDoc Guest

I have the same problem with Win XP Pro, and run Norton antivirus, Internet security, Ad-Aware and Spybot. I have 20 or so items that become unchecked. Only occurs on my laptop, and not on my desktops...all Dell 8100s.

13. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

-I would check, just to be sure - that the items that aren't being added are NOT present in your "Trusted Zone" as they can't exist in 2 zones at the same time.

- then I would try to add them manually thru Internet explorers interface -
    for "Coolwebsearch 1357" - you would try and add "Vcodec.co*" etc where
    * = "m" ;) See if you can manually add them.

The IE Restricted Zone is one terrible piece of programming - and it does vary depending what version of IE you have.

Also, I have troubles if I use Spybots immunize function :blink: and then use other programs to manipulate the restricted zones. That may be your problem as well.

14. nanette

nanette Guest

Thank you for your reaction;

- the only item in my IE's "Trusted Zone" is MSN

- manually adding the offending 8 zones to IE's "Restricted Zone" results in messages that an unexpected error has occurred in the set up (?? -translation from dutch-) of the zones and that the website can't be added.
    Adding any other site to IE's Restricted Zone works just fine . . .

- disabling the immunity and/or bad downloadblocker of Spybot S&D didn't make any difference, so I enabled them again

In the meantime I have 15 unprotected sites, the additional ones all from CoolWebSearch. So I scanned my system online with Housecall on viruses, spyware and security vulnerabilities. All it found were two low-risk tracking cookies and after fixing them I was clean.

I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that there is something wrong in some program(s) and that searching for the fault(s) is beyond my knowledge.
    Or should I submit a Highjackthislog to one of the securityforums? It seems a bit premature, since I don't have any real problems . . . yet.

I will still be grateful for any suggestions to solve this.

15. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

Has anyone tried running CWShredder? Maybe that'll fix some or all of the issues.

16. nanette

nanette Guest

I ran CWShredder and it found nothing.
    As I understand it, I don't have a "contamination", but my protection against them is not optimal. But it may be a good idea to run CWShredder on a regular basis in these circumstances, so thank you for your suggestion, AvianFlux!

17. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Registered Member

:D Perhaps the Microsoft MVPs ( Most Valuable Professionals ) on the
    forums at www.aumha.net may have an answer to this "situation" !?

18. wyrmrider

wyrmrider Registered Member

Are you running spybot search and destroy
    It uses a different method on certain sites which causes this symptom
    If it's that method then there is no problem as the sites removed are not recognised by restriceted sites anyway
    if you are using spybot do a search in the spybot forum at net integration
    if not keep looking

WYRMRIDER

19. nanette

nanette Guest

I re-installed Windows ME this morning and my problem with restricted sites was gone, even before I updated Spywareblaster to version 3.5 !
    So in my case probably something corrupt in WinME was causing it.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions; I'm happy with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.