All of tib files became corrupted

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sarutaro, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarutaro

sarutaro Registered Member

I backup once a week with ATI v. 10. Lately, my other computer crashed. I reinstalled windows XP and tried to restore the saved tibs with ATI (note: restoration with emergency boot diesk) failed. All came out to be "corrupted". I used some of the tibs for restoration without any problem in the past. I could not understand how come suddenly "all" tibs became corrupted. Did you have similar experience. If so, how did you solve the problem for restoring. Sarutaro

2. RetupmocSoft

RetupmocSoft Registered Member

If your "corrupt" TIB are outside your compute (external Device),
    try to put them "direct" connect your motherboad.

Home v10/v11 has serious bug inside "Restore function",
    could not handle external device well.

3. sarutaro

Some tibs are in a separate D-HD and some are in Seagate external drive. When I tried to restore, all of them become corrupted. For the external drive, I used USB hub. As you suggested, I will try to connect directly to motherboard. I hope that works.

I still could not figure out why those tibs are corrupted. Some tibs are from v. 9 (in this case, I tried both v. 9 or v10 emergency ATI rescuce CD). They were working just fine last month. The re-installed winXP is without SP1 or SP2 yet (because Microsoft SP2 CD seems to contain a missing file). I just wonder whether the lack of SP1/SP2 causes misreading tibs by emergency ATI restore disks or not. Sarutaro

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The ATI restore disk is its own Linux environment and has no knowledge or interest in SP1/SP2 because Windows isn't running. However, Acronis did specify that the service packs as part of the Windows requirements, IIRC, but I don't know if they, especially SP2, are really required. If the archives used to work with the recovery CD and now they don't then something has changed on your system. You could check the RAM and run chkdsk /r on your disks.

Experience has shown that TI is more likely to work better with a USB drive if it is plugged directly into the machine without a hub. The least problematic way is to have the archive on an internal HD.

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If the tib files appeared okay when Validated with ATI from within Windows but are declared corrupt when using the bootCD, it's probalby that the BootCD (and the ATI set of Linux drivers) doesn't work on your machine.

Can you validate the tib files from within Windows?

6. sarutaro

That is the case. All verified to be valid but it prompted corrupted during restore of the same valid tibs from within Widows or BootCD. That was very frustrating. I will try with a new BootCD. This is something it never occurred to my head. I had good luck for restoring for last 4-5 years. Suddenly, I am having problem. Sarutaro

7. seekforever

If you are restoring the active partition, typically C, even though you start the restore in Windows, it reboots and loads the same Linux environment that the rescue CD uses. Windows cannot be running when the active partition is restored.

8. sarutaro

Today, I created a new Emergency boot disk from ATI v. 10. I tried to restore a few "corrupted" tibs with the new boot disk. The result was that all tibs were corrupted. It is very puzzling to me. They worked just fine in the past. The only difference between now and then is graphic card. I have been using old ATI Radeon card with CRT monitor. About two months ago, I purchased 22 inch wide screen LCD monitor which requires new graphic card. So I installed a new ATI Radeon 9800. I am wondering whether the difference in graphic card (the one used for creating tibs and the one used for the restoration) affects the performance of the restoration or not. I am just guessing.

9. oldtimercurt

oldtimercurt Registered Member

Maybe a wild guess--when you created new emergency disk did it have the latest version updates? That turned out to be my problem when I had similar problem with version 9.

OTC

10. seekforever

You said your computer crashed. Do you know why the computer crashed, if it was a HW fault then perhaps it still exists. One reason for computers crashing and archives not validating is bad RAM. To check your RAM run memtest86+ V1.7 available free from www.memtest.org . Let it run for several hours, preferably overnight.

You say you have another computer. Have you tried validating with the rescue CD on that computer.

There is no reason all of your tib files should have gone bad all by themselves. I don't think your new video is a problem but if you can't find anything else you might go back to the former setup if you can. After all, one of the most useful questions in troubleshooting PCs is, "What did you last change?"!

11. OttoSykora

OttoSykora Registered Member

Have experimented with TI10, win and boot CD and boot CD TI11 supplied by support.

Found what I expected. tib created under windows and stored where ever, is bad when the linux environgment tries to do what ever with it.
    tib created under linux environgment and stured directly on a series of CD are not corrupt so far.
    Also OK are tib which are created under the linux boot environgment and stored on a local FAT32 partition.

It looks like acronis is trying to operate same kind of simple archive from both win and linux, which I belive from other experinecies will fail.

12. sarutaro

You asked me why my computer crashed. So here is the answer. I got 22" Wide screen LCD monitor and then, put a new ATI Radeon 9800 graphic card. It appears that the fan attached to the graphic card was dead. That generated heat. That caused the crash. So now I got new ATI Radeon X1050 graphic card (last Thursday). Since then, the computer runs super. So I want to restore with the earlier tib (contains Offaice 2003, Acrobot, Adobe CS2 series, etc). I spent the whole weekend to restore with a dozen tibs. ALL of them came out to be corrupted with newly created v.10 emergency boot disk. The only difference between now and then is graphic card. All other peripherals and hard disks are the same. It is very strange.
    Sarutaro

13. seekforever

Strange alright!
    I believe you have this problem whether the archives are on an external USB drive or on an internal HD - correct?

Were the archives on the D drive, created on the D drive or were they copied from the USB drive to the D drive?

Can you validate an old archive in Windows?

Can you boot with the TI V10 CD and create a new archive of C on the D drive and then validate it with the TI CD rather than trying an old archive? If this doesn't work then I think I would put the old card and monitor back on the system and try it just in case your new one is causing a conflict with the Linux environment.

14. sarutaro

Actually, I spent almost three days to work out for restoring tibs. I am now tired of doing this. I thought that it had better to start installing all those programs from the scratch. You might be right about to bring back the old CRT monitor (with VGA connection). Anyway, I have a hunch that LCD monitor with DVI connection and a new graphic card could be the culprit. I would rather stop discussing this issue here. Thanks all your comments. Sarutaro

15. sarutaro

One more comment: When I clicked tib files on D-drive and the external drive, I can open up the back up file. I can also mount almost of all tibs. I could see all the contents in those "corrupted" files (in virtual drive) and copy too. So it does not make any sense why they became "corrupted" during restore. Sarutaro

16. seekforever

The validate procedure whether used in the validate command or as the archive is being read to do a restore is very exact. Every bit that is read from the archive must generate checksums that match the ones that were included in the archive when it was created. One bad bit, and the archive will be declared corrupted. When the archive is mounted this test is not done so you can often see your files and you won't know which ones had a bad bit here and there although it may show up if you try to copy that file from the archive.

17. sarutaro

Eventually, I was successful in restoring the old tib (created in 5/17/07). I solved the puzzle why all tibs became corrupted.

Today, I tested both of C and D hard disks using a Western Digital test programs. C -drive failed in "Raw Read Error Rate". D-drive which stored backup tibs are just fine. I think the faulty sector on C-HD caused a lot of problem. About an hour ago, I replaced the C-drive with a new (formatted) 160GB WD hard disk. Then, I attempted to restore the old tib (which was corrupted in the past) with v. 10 emergency boot disk. Bingo! I made in 6 min. Now, I am very relieved. I appreciate all your comments on this problem. Sarutaro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.