All My Browsers Freeze my PC?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hawki, Apr 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Hi :)

I am having a problem where the internet browser that I am using at the time will eventually freeze after a period of time and when that happens my other programs open at the time will also freeze. I am also unable to open programs when this happens. This happens with IE, Chrome, and Firefox.

I have uninstalled any software I can think of that might be doing causing this and have tried 3 seperate Internet Security Programs (KIS, BD, Webroot) to see if one of them is the problem but the same thing happens no matter which I use

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox cuz that's the browser I use the most but that did not solve the problem.

Usually I am able to unfreeze the browser with Task Manager. When the browser closes all other programs respond as they should. I am using Windows 8.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what might be causing this and/or a fix?

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Google search: browser freezes whole system site:forums.mozillazine.org

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Try checking the hardware memory with a specific tool, either bundled with your PC, like in most Dell systems, or using a third party tool such as microsoft one (look for "Memory Test Microsoft" and I guess it will point to the installer, which will create a bootable media, CD or DVD).

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

This is exactly the first thing I would look at. Video drivers are probably the most common cause of this problem. And since all of these browsers now are hardware accelerated... I would check into upgrading/downgrading the drivers or at least disabling hardware acceleration in your browser as a test to see if that stops it. Could also be a hardware acceleration issue with your Flash plugin for any/all browsers.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.