ALL IN ONE SECRET MAKER- nice job?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by aigle, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I just tried this utility after about one year and tried it against some spyware/ adware downloads. I just enabled the worm intrudor blocker and security watch dog function of it and tried to download following spywares/ malwares:

WinFixer
    UnSpyPC
    Jessica Simpson Screensaver( so called)
    Kazaa
    Mediapipe
    SpyAxe
    Waterfalls 3

And surprizingly it blocked the download attempts of all except one of these malwares( except JS screensaver). That,s great. I am really impressed. I have not seen any free/ paid software that is so good in this regard.
    I tried same with SpySweeper and it blocked only three of them ( WinFixer, SpyAxe, Mediaptpe)- blocking access to the download.

It functions as web communication shield, so it blocks possible malware download, however if the malware is already downloaded on ur PC, it will not prevent its execurtion. I executed few of above spyware installers, and it remained dead silent. But its web shield function is really great, and I think it can eb a nice add-on to a real time Antispyware scanner.
    It has a Worm Hunter( and many other things) as well but can,t say how good it is. Currently i am using it and activated following components,

Security watch dog
    Intrudor blocker
    Banner blocker
    Movie Blocker
    Privacy Protector

Its, GUI is not good but if it works well that should not be any problem, especially that it is free. Here is a pop up that it gave during my testing.

Attached Files:

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    A link perhaps so others can test it?
    Mrk

3. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, it,s there from Texcritter, Thanks to him.
    Otherwise a click on google is enough.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi! I am looking forward. If anybody tried it, pls tell ur opinion about it.
    BTW, latest version is 5.0.7 and it comes bundled with Yahoo toolbar but there is clear option not to install Yahoo toolabar( just like ccleaner).

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I just noticed today it is blocking some legitimate downloads also, but not all and there is option to bypass these downloads by pressing Ctrl and Alt, but I have no idea what criteria it used to stop or not to stop downloads( signatures or heuristics/ rules etc? Also it does not flag them as possible malware, just blocks. Will see it for some days how it works.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, just found there is a white list option, so it will block most of downloads by default. Not so impressive then.

8. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

Told you so.

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I do not see anything special about this app, same thing with SecurityProPack. :rolleyes:

10. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Thought i might take a look at this, as it seems to cover some areas that other apps don't. I downloaded it ok, but when i tried to right click on it to get the properties version no. etc, i got frozen out for about 20 seconds, tried again this time i had to Clt/Alt/Del to escape ?

Ok my PC's gone a bit wibbly wobbly i thought, so i rebooted and tried on a few other files etc first with no problems. Once more tried on SECRET MAKER the same thing happend ! Now this is getting interesting as something very unusual is occurring here. I uploaded the file to VirusTotal and NOD32 showed something which might explain, some of it anyway

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/732/smvt13fe.png

I scanned it with my AV, after another 20 seconds delay, and look what happened

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/7823/bdsm13zf.png

The app got scanned 245 times !!! Never seen that ever before either ?

I think it's possible they might have protected their app in some way ? If they have it's something i havn't experienced before. I havn't installed it yet, but will do soon, and let you what i think of it etc.

StevieO

11. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I installed it earlier on, and after reading about and making sure i also downloaded and installed in the correct place, the extra files they said i would need, msaa20rdk.exe. Several of these were idenctical in every way to System files i already had, so i didn't replace them when prompted as i was dropping them in there. I installed as usual with Total Uninstall which rebooted as required by SECRETMAKER. After that completed i launched the app to configure it.

I wasn't too impressed with the GUI, but that's secondary to me, preferring a reliable quality app any day to flashy but poor performance etc. The resources were very light, only around 1% CPU, but this might explain that. Most of the options i clicked wouldn't enable, and instead IE popped up with an HTML message each time similat to what aigle saw.

Welcome All-in-One SECRETMAKER user. Whenever you figure a problem, try reading posts in the All-in-One SECRETMAKER User Forum to see if your problem has been experienced already and whether the solution can help you (so as not to re-invent the wheel). You may find it useful to Search the forum for such posts.

etc

I had already spent some time perusing through their forum, and noticed quite a few bug posts etc, but the author seemed fairly keen on sorting them out, so that's why i installed it.

The only two Privacy type ones that did work were, Privacy Protector and Security Watchdog. Only Privacy Protector is shown to be enabled with a tick against it

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/5336/sm6om.png

Some of the encryption options worked though, like the password generator. I must admit i'm very dissapointed, even though it hasn't crashed etc, i expected it would work better than this, or at least most of it anyway. I didn't notice any benefits whilst test surfing either ? On a plus side, it didn't conflict with any of my other apps.

I've disabled from start up pending any further info, before i uninstall it. Maybe other people on different OS's, mines 98se, might have more success, i hope so anyway !

Rasheed187

I'd never heard of SecurityProPack before, and there isn't much info about it or them on their website ?

StevieO

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for ur review. I already removed it BTW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.