All-In-One Box

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by alanlm143, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanlm143

alanlm143 Registered Member

Hi There,

I am doing a product evaluation for my client. They are looking for a security gateway which can do everything in one box. For example, URL Filtering, Anti-virus, Proxy Server, Intrusion detection, etc. Right now, I am comparing Symantec gateway 5400 Series and Fortinet 3000 Series. I assume that both box look quite promising.

Please feel free to comment on this thread. Thanks for your help.!

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

We're tempted by fortinet as well. Mighty quick, all on board and scalable.

The Symantec offering has yet to convince me of a decent anti spam filter. Fortinet's solution is probably better. We're using the Barracuda spamfirewall, as it is a very low budget appliance with better functionality than the others.

A low budget solution is Astaro on an iBase appliance.

3. alanlm143

alanlm143 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate your comment. I think we have to limit ourself to some of the local vendor like ISS, symantec and Fortinet. I think Barracuda is not a local player here.

As for Symantec, I think they are good at Anti-virus and URL Filtering. But for other functionality like Firewall, Intrusion detection, I think Fortinet will do better. We are going to test both box out within this week and going to find out more on this product.

You mentioned that Fortinet is better. Would you be able to get into details and explain why Fortinet stands out from the crowd. Thanks.

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I was referring to the anti spam solution. I don't feel that Symantec have the right solution. Fortinet ought to do better.
    Barracuda is only an anti spam appliance, but very good at it, better than most other offerings.

Fortinet looks better than others in the other functrions, because of the way they use Asics instead of being 'mere' embedded computer systems, based on linux or other hardened os'es. Netscreen is a very good performer because of this architecture (great management tools!).

Best option is to test, but please, first investigate your requirements and demands and weigh them, before choosing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.