All Image Backups are Corrupt

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ken6980, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken6980

ken6980 Registered Member

Maybe someone can help. Every time I make a full backup (image) of my “C” drive, I get the message, upon verification, that the image is corrupt. I have two physically separate internal drives: 1) Drive C which is 150gb (two 75gb raid 0 drives at 10,000 rpm) and 2) Drive D is a 250gb drive at 7500 rpm. Both are SCSI drives. I have one other hard drive (K) which is a USB external Western Digital 320gb drive. (Drive E is a DVD r/w, drive F is a CD r/w, and drives G through J are card readers.)

I have tried to make a full backup of the C drive several times. These backups were written to the Acronis Protected Partition on the D drive and a separate partition on the K drive (which became the new “L” drive). Each and every time the image is verified as corrupt.

I’m using Acronis True Image Home 9.0, build 3677. Total physical memory is 2gb. Computer is a Voodoo F:2, running Windows XP Professional. The computer is “over clocked” to the manufacture’s (Voodoo) recommendation. The total size of the final image is about 34gb and the total size being backed up is about 45gb.

I also tried to make an image backup with compression “off”. I still received the error that the image is CORRUPT. I’ve also checked the memory and the memory is fine with no errors or problems.

After my disk crash (I tried uninstalling the new beta Windows Explorer 7, build 2 to install build 3 and it caused all sorts of problems), I tried restoring with Acronis True Image. It would not restore as the images were corrupt. Luckily I had another backup made with Norton’s Ghost which restored the hard drive.

Anyone know what the problem can be? Is it possible that Acronis True Image Backup cannot be run on the newer computers with Raid configurations, fast hard drives, over clocking, and large memory?

The log file is attached.

Attached Files:

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Try it without overclocking would be my first attempt. TI is known to give memory and disk systems a real workout.

You can also run chkdsk X: /r on all your partitions to rule that out. Substitute the drive letter of the partition for X.

I would do my testing by creating an image of C on another regular partition on the same or another HD. HD to HD is usually less problematic since it doesn't have to deal with USB driver/chipset or optical drive problems.

3. Rusty Mainframe

Rusty Mainframe Registered Member

As I found out the hard way, TI is very sensitive to memory (RAM) problems, or, in my case, the memory settings in the motherboard BIOS. I was not overclocking, but I had a motherboard that was tweaked for overclocking. I had to make sure that every memory related BIOS setting had a value of normal or default before TI would work successfully.

Later on, I updated the motherboard BIOS, and TI wouldn't work again. The BIOS fix was related to memory timings, so I had to revert back to the previous version of the BIOS to get TI working. I have since replaced the motherboard and TI is working fine with the new one.

Change your BIOS to default values, especially the settings relating to memory and try again. Test your RAM as well.

Good luck,

Russ

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ken6980,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Could you please clarify whether you create an image within Windows or in rescue mode?

As you create the image to the external hard drive, please try to save it to the internal one.

Please also try to verify images created from under Windows using Acronis True Image 9.0 Bootable rescue CD and vice versa.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. mareke

mareke Registered Member

I've been using Acronis for years with my CPU and memory overclocked and never had a problem like the one described due to this. Admittedly my memory is top quality (cost over $600) and my motherboard is a top notch one.

6. furballi

furballi Registered Member

Some drive imaging programs will not function properly in a heavily overclocked environment (35% or higher over nominal speed). And yes, the MB and RAMs passed Prime95 and Memtest86.

I don't have the latest edition of TI, but the older TI6 server program would occasionally fail to image an overclocked NF3 or NF4 board (no Nvidia firewall). The VIA K8T890/VT8237 combo works fine with TI6 and Drive Image 4/5.

<snip>

edited to remove off-topic comment - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2006
  7. seekforever

Overclocking will not cause TI to fail as long as the data is being handled reliably. Problem is that it doesn't always unfold that way given the variations of MBs and RAM quality. TI is known to put a good load on memory and HD systems so while the overclocked PC may operate OK in other situations it may fail while running TI. Also, TI only needs to incorrectly read 1 bit and the several gigabyte backup is labelled corrupt. Screw up a bit in a mpeg or jpeg and who would notice (depending on where it is of course).

Troubleshooting these problems as another user is often ruling out things rather than going directly to a solution. Killing the overclocking is easy to try.

8. furballi

I don't have access to TI9. However, TI6 didn't work reliably with many overclocked PCs. The RAM and PCs passed ALL stress programs, including Prime95 and Memtest86.

I doubt that TI will stress the PC much more than 24 hours of Prime95 and Memtest86.

9. seekforever

I don't know much about Prime95 but I get the impression it is primarily a CPU and memory intensive exercise. TI is simultaneously running the disk system at full-speed and this is certainly something memtest86+ does not do.

In my previous life we used to say, " the only diagnostic that matters is the OS and the running application" and I can certainly state say we had failures that took a lot of configuring of different diagnostics to get them to catch the fault that was happening with the app.

10. furballi

Prime95 is not perfect, but it is often used by overclockers to check for system stability. Running the HDD at full speed is NOT very taxing on a modern PC. For example, the PC will rip, transcode, and burn a DVD at full speed without error, but it may fail Prime95.

There are no perfect software. However, if the software is buggy on an overclocked PC that has passed Prime95 and Memtest86, then the software is not ready for prime time. Furthermore, if the software is still buggy when running OUTSIDE of windows, then it is definitely not compatible with that particular PC.

Again, I don't know about the speed of TI9. Perhaps the application is pushing the write capability of a particular HDD. Most drive imaging proggies will process data at about 1300MB/min, with peak speed approaching 2500MB/min. The lower limit of a modern 7200rpm HDD is around 1900MB/min.
    <snip>

edited to remove off-topic remark - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2006
  11. ken6980

Thank you for all your posts to my problem (or Acronis'). I've determined it is not "over clocking". The files are still corrupt. Performed a chkdsk. No problem with the drive(s). Remember, the corrupt backup files are on an internal and external drive.

<snip> I need reliabily. I paid for Acronis Home Backup, yet it doesn't work as advertised.:'(

edited to remove off-topic remarks - Detox

12. ken6980

Well, my wife thinks I'm still crazy for buying a $7,000 liquid cooled Gaming computer.

13. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello ken6980,

Due to TI's live imaging technology whilst running in Windows mode, it could be that some other program is preventing it from working correctly. If you are using the full, paid for, version of True Image, have you tried booting from the TI rescue CD and creating/validating an image whilst in the Linux based rescue environment? If so, what was the result?

Regards

14. seekforever

Thanks for your post, I now feel considerably better about some of the things I have bought. :D :D :D

15. vareniky

vareniky Registered Member

At times I have had the same issue with ATI versions some versions do work better than others and my pc is not overclocked at all.
    <snip>

edited to remove off-topic comment - Detox

16. ken6980

Thank you for the suggestion. I went to the Resue Disk. Guess what? Problems. I does not support my mouse which is a Logitech G7 Laser Mouse. So, I had to navigate through using the keyboard. The software said the backup will take 1 hour and 50 minutes. WOW! Since I'm backing up to a USB drive, I'm under the conclusion the Rescue Disk does not support USB 2.0, but rather 1.1. Hmmm...I give up. So here is the conclusion. Acronis definitely has a problem with their software. It does not support the latest mice (i.e., Logitech G7), it does not support USB 2.0 (it uses 1.1), and the files are always corrupt on a fast machine. <snip>

edited to remove off-topic remark - Detox

17. ken6980

I really can't run unreliable software when it comes to a backup. Acronis Home Backup is definitiely unreliable when you really need it.

edited to reflect edit of quoted post - Detox

18. hardhead

hardhead Registered Member

Supported storage
    Hard disk drives
    Networked storage devices
    CD-R(W)
    DVD-RW, DVD+R(W)
    ZIP®, Jazz® and other removable media
    P-ATA (IDE), S-ATA, SCSI, IEEE1394 (Firewire) and USB 1.0 / 2.0 drives, PC card storage devices.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/requirements.html

19. mareke

mareke Registered Member

This is incorrect. The files might be always corrupt on your fast machine but certainly not all fast machines. The problem is most likely something specific to your computer. The long time to make a backup reminds me of a similar experience on a Pentium IV I built for someone where Acronis took way too long to make an image. One of the IDE channels must have been slightly damaged as when I moved the hard disk to the other channel the time to make an image was dramatically quicker.

This isn’t necessarily the cause of slow image creation with your computer nor would it necessarily have anything to do with the corrupt images on your computer but it suggests that a hardware or software issue is causing the images to be not written accurately and you should not assume that the data is not being written accurately because your computer is fast. My computer is overclocked to 3.7GHz and Acronis always writes images accurately and quickly (an 18GB image gets written in around 10 minutes to another hard drive).

As for the Logitech mouse issue my experience is that if you have a cordless Logitech mouse and just rely on the Windows software to run it the mouse will not work when you use the Acronis boot CD with the cursor disappearing but if you install the appropriate Logitech Mouseware the problem is resolved even though it occurs in the Linux based environment when you use the Acronis boot CD.

20. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello again Ken,

Try adding the usbmouse=off command at the Linux kernel command line as detailed in this <previous Acronis Support reply>.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.