All I want for Christmas ... is an Image Copy

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by richrf, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

Trying to get a reliable image copy. I've tried:

1) Image For DOS - Reports image copy is corrupted. Cannot create a validated copy.
    2) Acronis True Image - Continually hangs up machine when trying to access copy. No way to verify copy.
    3) Norton Ghost - No trial copy. Too expensive to take a chance on.

Any other ideas?

Have: Single partition NTFS 40GB drive with 4GB of data running Windows XP SP2.

Desired gift: Image copy to 80GB WD USB 2.0 drive.

Is this too much to ask for?

Thanks for your help and wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving.

Rich

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi richrf,

Have you tried exploring your Image for Dos images with TBIView (Free Software)? Just to verify that they are corrupt. Install TBIView, right-click on the image file, and select "View" from the context menu. Might take a few minutes to open since the image is on a USB drive.

Nick

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Nick,

Thanks for trying to come to the rescue.

My first image copy was good and I was able to explore it. After that, everything went down hill. All images are reported as corrupt and I cannot read the drive using TBIView. Me thinks that the company is very small and really doesn't support the DOS product with external USB drives anywmore. I think it may have something to do with multiple files on a single external USB drive. I am not sure what IFD and TBIView use to access the drive.

Anyways, it doesn't work and I really need a very reliable image copy. Maybe Santa will bring one this year. I've been a very good guy all year. At least so says my wife and son.

Any ideas would be really appreciated. Hope you are enjoying your Thanksgiving.

Rich

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hope you're enjoying Thanksgiving as well Rich. Although I usually use BootIt NG or Image for Windows to image to my Seagate external USB drive, I will try it with IFD when I get home this evening. Meanwhile, I will see if I can find any info to help you from their newsgroup.

Nick

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Nick,

Thanks a lot. If you think IFW is good enough I will try it. Only, how do I lock the disk so that I know that I am getting a consistent logical copy. I don't do images that often - just one more before Christmas - so what I need is something very basic and reliable. Thanks for trying to help me out. And enjoy your family and friends this holiday season!

Rich

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

With Image for Windows, you need to install PHYLock (also on their free software page). It locks your system for consistent imaging. From taking a look through their newsgroups, I read several scenarios where users had problems with external USBs and IFD (later resolved), but at the same time had no problems with BootIt NG. You don't necessarily have to install BootIt NG. You can run it from a CD or floppy. I can't give a 100% recommendation for Image for Windows only because it did not get along with my laptop, but ran fine on 2 desktops. Of all the imaging apps I have tried, BootIt NG is the only one that has worked with every hardware setup I have thrown at it.

Nick

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Nick,

I will go to Terabyte and tryout Bootitng. Maybe it is better supported than IFD. Thanks again.

Rich

8. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Check out my post on the other thread. Can't go wrong with two recommendations of Bootit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.