All free setup for laptop

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by felipe, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. felipe

felipe Registered Member

My friend asked me to install some security software on her laptop. She want free software. I decided to install:

Avira Antivir PersonalEdition Classic
    Comodo Personal Firewall or Jetico or Kerio Personal Firewall (I still have not decided yet; which one would you recommend, I have read tons of threads)
    Spyware Blaster
    Spybot S&D
    WWDC
    I am still thinking on SSM, but not sure about this.

Am I missing something??

Thanks in advance

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Firewall : Jetico requires a bit more knowledge on the user to configure. Comodo and Kerio are more simpler to set up.

Spybot S&D: It is still a pretty good antimalware program, but usually is behind others on the test results on detecting malware. Ad-Aware is another popular program. Spy Sweeper and Spyware Doctor are usually among the top of the list on spyware testing. A lot of programs are available.

WWDC - This is something that I haven't heard before. It seems to be a worm preventer.
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/wwdc.htm

SSM : A HIPS program that requires some previous knowledge of a computer system. There are varying degrees of intrusion and detection protection offered by many programs. Process Guard, Online Armor, and Prevx are among the popular programs.

The basic recommendations made by many reviewers are that you install a antivirus, firewall, and antispyware program. HIPS program are relatively new and allow more control for a user but does require additional learning by that user. If you have at least these items installed, you should be OK.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    What operating system? What's her expertise? What she'll be doing? What browser will she use? What are available system resources?
    Mrk

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, many factors are imp as Mrk asked.
    For XP I will suggest,
    Antirir, Comodo, Spyware blaster
    SuperAntispyware and Ewido free for on-demand scan
    HIPS like SSM rae only for expert users. If she can handle, put a sandbox like GeSwall.

5. felipe

felipe Registered Member

Thank you guys for advices

Mrkvonic:
    -System: xp home
    -She is a beginner and would like easy-to-use software so I think Jetico is not a good idea, is comodo a stable firewall?? I heard different opinions on that. So maybe a Kerio or Comodo?
    -Use: mail, www, no outlook and similar software, no p2p
    -Browser: firefox
    -Cpu: 1,4 GHz Celeron with 512 MB RAM

aigle: good idea, I was wondering about sanboxie.

Thanks

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sandboxie, GesWall, DefenceWall are are good choices but DefenceWall is not free.
    She is beginner so no HIPS for her or Prevx if u insist for one but I will suggest minimal set up for a beginner.
    Antivir( with heuristics enabled-- may be medium level best for her), Comodo with least pop up mode( better than Kerio though a bit more pop ups) and a SandBox.
    Spyware balster immunization
    Firefox( and NoScript if she can handle it,s settings)
    If u want a real time antispyware then Window,s defender seems only choice.
    For On-demand scans AVG antispyware and SuperAntispyware.
    U can trim down this set up more if u want.

7. felipe

felipe Registered Member

Whoa, what a fast answer. I decided to install Antivir with medium level, spyware blaster, spybot with enabled tea timer for registry protection, pest patrol for cookies and pests. As suggested I will try with comodo. Should be fine for her. Thanks

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

AntiVir PE Classic was an excellent choice.
    Comodo should work well for her also.It can be easy depending on how you set it up.
    Spyware Blaster is another great choice.
    WWDC is another program that I have.Windows Woms Doors Cleaner.
    I have attached a screenshot of the program for the benefit of those who aren't familiar with it.;)
    I would look at AVG Antispyware or A-Squared as a free scanner instead of Spybot.

Attached Files:

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If she's using FF, no mail client, then Comod and AntiVir would be a good choice. Ewido for on-demand scan once in a while. Spybot is nice too. SpywareBlaster does not hurt.
    I would not recommend any patching software like WWDC or HIPS like SSM for beginners.
    Mrk

10. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Your setup is nearly identical to my laptop in terms of hardware and software. I don't have any third party firewall installed at the moment (only using the SP2 firewall only). I am also thinking about adding a HIPS or sandbox program to my system. However, they require more training on the user's part and a beginner would probably be confused by all of the prompts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.