All Erased By Eraser Files Could Be Easily Recovered

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by whoarestinkler, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whoarestinkler

whoarestinkler Registered Member

2. traxx75

traxx75 Registered Member

Eraser is only as good as the person using it :)

It is not one of those "all-in-one" products that claims to "erase all tracks!" or anything like that. If users don't consider all areas that data may reside then that's their short-sightedness, not Eraser's.

Additionally, the title of this thread is misleading. The linked thread on the heidi.ie forums doesn't actually prove [or even insinuate] that "all erased by Eraser files" can be recovered. It seems to imply instead that deleted System Restore points aren't being erased properly by Eraser's "free space wipe". Since I'm pretty sure that System Restore only contains system/application files, and not personal files like documents and images, I don't think it's as big an issue as the person makes it out to be.

Happy to be corrected on this point :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  3. Countermail

Countermail Registered Member

I think he did something wrong, It worked for me, I answered him in the same thread.

4. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Under unusual circumstances an XP user's data file might be backed-up and restored by System Restore if it was stored in inappropriate location (e.g. a system folder) and had a non-standard extension. For example, a user might attemnpt to hide a file containing sensitive data by placing it in the system folder and giving it a system extension such as dll or sys, and this file would likely be backed up by system restore. (Note: The behavior of System Restore has changed with Vista.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.