Alignment Tool on Dell Mini 9

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by TankCmdr, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TankCmdr

TankCmdr Registered Member

I recently upgraded a Mini 9 to a 32gb SuperTalent SSD. I backed up the original drive using Paragon Backup & Recovery. When I install the image (2 partitions) on the new 32gb drive everything is fine, however, after aligning with PAT 2.0 I get never-ending boot errors. NTOSKRNL is missing or corrupt, HAL.DLL is missing or corrupt. Chkdsk finds and fixes errors, but doesn't fix the booting problem. I've checked the boot.ini settings, and I've re-created the image without the Dell utility partition - but nothing works after aligning!
    It's as if the system files are all corrupted by the alignment operation.

Any thoughts on what might be my problem?

Thanks

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

is it working ok without it being aligned using PAT? If you ran chkdsk does it find and fix errors before aligning? If you align only 1 partition does the error occur still? It might be that you drive does not like PAT

3. TankCmdr

TankCmdr Registered Member

The computer boots and works fine before Aligning (both two partition & single partition). Occasionally, the system freezes momentarily. I've read this might be due to partition alignment (might also be the slower cpu).

I ran PAT and it showed the alignment to be non-optimal. However, aligning always breaks the booting process (whether two partitions or single partition).

Unfortunately, the PC didn't come with a recovery disk (or I lost it). I tried using my XP Pro disk to repair, but it doesn't recognize the XP home installation for repairing purposes.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.