Alexa related...

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by douglasjre, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. douglasjre

douglasjre Registered Member

My Spybot caught an item it calls "Alexa Realted." It was in directory c:\windows\web\related.htm

This came as no surprise to me as I caught a virus in my system yesterday. I deleted it, and my machine wouldn't boot last evening. I has to repair Windows XP. This worked well as I was able to avoid having to reinstall all the third party software.

Note: The virus that I caught yesterday was in directory c:\windows\web\virus name.extension The folder "web" still remains.

But, when I recovered, I reran Spybot, Stinger, Ad-Ware SE Personal and Norton Anti-Virus. My Spybot caught the above mentioned Alexa realted item. My Norton did not.

To the point: Should I be concerned that there are other creatures hiding in my system? What steps should I take in the future? Sould I delete the folder "web"?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Howdy Douglas! :D

If the virus is no longer an issue and you wish to deal with that Alexa item....mmmm, read all about it here. ;)
    BTW, no need to delete that folder, as the above referenced will address the related.htm.

As far as being concerned, that's completely up to you. If you're interested....
    this site will provide a veritable wealth of information.

Beyond that....please feel welcome to "peruse" the forum.

GF

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I've found 'alexa related' on new/clean/fresh installs. I'd say it's probably shipped with windows/IE.

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

It's in Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1.
    Microsoft put this alexa thing in to spy on people maybe.
    In XP SP2 this alexa thing seems to have ceased to exist.

5. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Yep, I found it on a clean install too.

Jimbob

6. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

i remove it whit NLite on a clean install(unattended install)
    nlite is great utility, check it out :cool:

Attached Files:

7. douglasjre

douglasjre Registered Member

Aaaah. Thanx guys. I see where Alexa came from. I got a pop up recently that offered google toolbar. That was offered when downloading DivX. I was downloading Divx cause it was supposedly required to view video. After loading DivX I found a virus. And, even though I declined the Google Toolbar, I still got the Alexa thing. I've since discarded DivX, the virus, Alexa, and repried Windows. No video is that important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.