Alerts that Windows Firewall is turn off

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jking1024, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jking1024

jking1024 Registered Member

I just installed Smart Security on a SBS 2011 Essentials server, and I get notices from the Alert Center and from the Essentials Launchpad/Dashboard that the Windows Firewall is off. Of course it's off, Smart Security replaced it.

I'm guessing that ESET either forgot to write code to tell the OS that it's managing the Firewall (this seems like a rather large oversite), or the install didn't quite work right and missed whatever setting it was supposed to do so Windows knows another program is installed.

The little flags are annoying, and I would like to clear the alert. Can someone tell me how to tell Windows that ESET is doing the job?

Thanks

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi,

Just to avoid future problems, the ESS Personal Firewall is just that, a Personal Firewall. It is designed to protect client computers from remote attacks. When the computer in question is functioning as a server, the Personal Firewall may not be an appropriate security product.

4. jking1024

jking1024 Registered Member

Well, ok. I can just turn off the notifications, but that's not really a great solution. In the past, Windows has notified me that programs are inactive or removed. If SS is turned off, some how, I should get a notice saying that. If I just turn things off in Windows Security, I will never get notice if some new worm turns off my AV software, or if the AV breaks somehow and becomes unresponsive.

It seems that ESET should tell Windows that it's doing the function; I shouldn't just have to shut down the security function.

Also, if ESS was specifically marketed at working on all current Microsoft supported OS, and two old ones they don't (Server 2k and Windows 2k), I would think all the functions (firewall included) would be adequate for the OS it runs on. Are you, an official ESET Support person, telling me that the firewall in ESS, is not good enough to run on servers, even though ESS is marketed that way? :(

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.