Air Force Tests Contraption That Can Turn Any Plane Into a Robot Plane

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Minimalist, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

3. guest

guest Guest

Skynet looool

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Probably much less than if a human pilot. Pilot error is, by far, the number one cause of all aircraft accidents. That's behind (5) intentional downing (terrorist and suicides), (4) mechanical, (3) weather and (2) human (other than pilot) error such a mistakes by mechanics or air traffic controllers.

I wonder how many hours it took to install that "contraption". I sure don't see it being deployed should a human pilot become incapacitated somehow - perhaps due to some in-flight medical emergency. When it because integrated with the controls so real pilots (or passengers?) can sit in the cockpit, then it might be pretty good.

But then this is being developed by the military and thus far does not seem to be intended for general or commercial aviation despite the fact this is installed in a general aviation aircraft. What I find interesting is the ROBOpilot is intended to be temporarily installed. Then after the "mission", it is removed and the aircraft quickly returned its original manned configuration. Pretty cool.

For the full story about the project, see this: http://www.aerotechnews.com/blog/20...st-flight-of-robopilot-unmanned-air-platform/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.