AI ripe for exploitation, experts warn

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Krusty, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43127533

2. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

"AI used to create fake videos to manipulate public opinion."
    I dont think so.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

... Just don't shoot the messenger. ;)

4. RockLobster

I wasn't.
    When an article which firstly introduced fear with talk of drones as guided missiles and also mentions fake videos that manipulate public opinion in the same context while calling for new laws, it raises a red flag with me because you have to know the real agenda is about what they call fake news, which in a lot of cases is clearly the truth that directly contradicts the mainstream media version of events which is clearly not the truth.
    Its a well established formula.
    Use a shocking, fear inducing threat pretext to draw attention away from the also mentioned real agenda, then under the guise of addressing the supposed threat, implement the laws that acheive the real agenda.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  5. 142395

142395 Guest

I'm not sure what can we do in technical level when algorithm itself is open (tho each implementation might be private), but every tech is double-edged sword and sure, leaving it to user's ethics is not very good idea.

BTW, note ML is only super-human level in very limited cases, tho admittedly RL have future. It's not just works w/out learning sample, but it works in uncertain environment where properties of the env are unknown, thanks to recent theoretical development.
    They're talking about more intentional & oriented information control powered by ML. Wether it is better or worth than current state of mass media is, IMO, another story.

6. 142395

142395 Guest

Not that serious so far, but somewhat related.

Trending YouTube video calls shooting survivor David Hogg an actor. That's a lie
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/21/us/david-hogg-youtube-video/index.html
    Tho YT promised they'll increase human checker, it's one example why relying too much on so called 'AI' is bad idea.

7. RockLobster

I hadn't realized youtube trending was censored to begin with, I thought it was just the videos that lots of people had been watching.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

9. RockLobster

I would like to know how they link everything to Russia when everyone knows there are a miriad of ways to obfuscate the source of such things and I wouldnt doubt if they were doing it, the Russian intelligence services are quite capable of making sure the source would appear to be an entirely different country did it.
    It might appear that I am defending the Russians, but I have no special interest in Russia, I am trying only to defend common sense.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.