AI can make art now, but artists aren’t afraid

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Feb 1, 2019.

1. guest

guest Guest

AI can make art now, but artists aren’t afraid
    February 1, 2019
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/1/1...tudio-colorize-ai-artificial-intelligence-art

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Maybe computer AI cannot be an artist, but I think a computer might do so in a different (non-creative) way. The earliest computers that played chess (e.g. IBM's Big Blue) defeated human chess grand masters primarily by brute force. (See HERE.)

One example: a computer can "look" at any given position of its chess pieces versus an opponent's chess pieces & then literally *play out in memory* the millions of possible ensuing moves from that position, & choose the one move that most economically leads to victory.

Home computer chess games were not as powerful as Big Blue but also operated on brute force that some programmers referred to as "layers" -- how many feasible moves ahead the computer could play out in memory.

I had an Apple // chess game that only went to 7 layers, so I could beat it maybe once in 4 games. A chess master did eventually defeat Big Blue, so they reworked the program & put in some additional specialized chips & beat the guy. He wanted a rematch but that computer was dismantled, as I recall.

So I think a computer *could* eventually produce a beautiful piece of piano music, for example, by brute force plus some stored *good patterns* to mess with. Of course there would be uncountable instances of crap-music, but a masterpiece could eventually be produced ............ I think. (whimper)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. guest

guest Guest

DeviantArt upsets artists with its new AI art generator, DreamUp
    Confused artists discover their work will be used for AI training by default.
    By Benj Edwards @benjedwards - November 11, 2022

6. guest

guest Guest

How DeviantArt is navigating the AI art minefield
    By Adi Robertson @thedextriarchy - November 15, 2022

7. guest

guest Guest

Shutterstock now offers AI image creation using DALL-E technology
    "Responsible" AI-based image generation is live for registered users
    By Alfonso Maruccia @AlfonsoMaruccia - January 26, 2023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.