Ahead Nero CD Burning

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hans 01, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hans 01

Hans 01 Registered Member

Hi, I'm a real novice, but I'm learning bit by bit at these forums. I've realised I have no back-up against a future harddrive failure (I regularly back up my files). I have "Ahead Nero" which I use to burn back-up cd's and it seems to have a facility for imaging the harddrive.
    Unfortunately, I haven't kept my Nero program updated (didn't know how to until just recently - thanks Wilders). To update my Nero is now a 1.35 hour download acc to what I found at www.nero.com (I'm dial-up).
    I know it's my own fault for not updating, but I thought to ask all you experts if Nero can image my harddrive. If not, the 1.35 hr download might be a waste of time and I'd appreciate suggestions for a better way out.
    Also, pls advise if imaging is THE way to ensure smooth change of harddrives (from failure or at upgrade). Thanking you in advance.
    / H

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Imaging is the best way to restore the whole operating system including all other settings and programs. Nero is not a TRUE drive image software. I would recommend that you stick with software that DOES NOT RUN from within windows. This will provide the highest level of stability during image creation/restoration.

I've just switched to a program called Bootit ng. It can write to 4.7GB DVD discs. Bootit can also repartition the hard drive. I believe you can still try the full program for 30 days. Bootit costs $35. You can download Bootit in 3 minutes with dial-up. The installation takes less than 2MB of hard drive space. Very efficient program!

3. If I use nero BackItUp 1.2.0.20 in Nero 6.3.1.25 and then go to unit security copy, there is an option to back up "compaq diagnostic" in windows xp ( windows xp preinstalled)If I burn this copy to 7 cd´s, Is it going to be a restauration and bootable copy of windows xp?
    I hope somebody knows about this, thanks

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use nero 6009 ultra and with backit up i can copy an image of the whole hdd. it takes a few cd's but it works well and will restore the entire hdd partition.

5. rths

rths Registered Member

Hello Bigc73542,
    Can you elaborate a little more on the nero harddrive backup. I gather from what you've posted so far that one can do a complete restore from a crash? Thanks

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Do it through drive imaging, it can also be done with backitup but it would take 20 cd's on my hdd to do it that way.

Attached Files:

7. rths

rths Registered Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.