Agnitum licenses firewall technology to Avast

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Circe, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Circe

Circe Registered Member

Agnitum licenses firewall technology to Avast

Parts of Outpost firewall and protocol parsing technologies are embedded into Avast’s comprehensive Internet Security solution

St. Petersburg, Russia — December 6, 2012. Agnitum, the PC security expert and manufacturer of the Outpost range of security products, is glad to announce a licensing contract with a prominent antivirus vendor Avast Software. Avast now takes advantage of Outpost’s best-of-breed firewall technology for the purpose of its all-in-one security product.

AVAST logoAgnitum’s technology now available to the licensee involves personal firewall, attack detection, parsing of HTTP as well as POP3, SMTP and IMAP protocols.

Given the complexity and diversity of today’s threats, users need protection that controls the main propagation route — their Internet connection. Zero-day threats, one of the newest and most difficult to detect, are becoming more frequent, and an appropriate response must be in place for users to have adequate security when they go online.

Agnitum is one the leading technology licensors in the security industry. Its technologies are being currently employed by top market players. The company has provided flexible opportunities for third-party licensing, offering antivirus, firewall or proactive protection modules either as a rebranded solution or based on the SDK since the year 2000. Among the major benefits offered by Agnitum’s licensing program are best-of-breed preventive mechanisms, native compatibility with both 32- and 64-bit Windows, reduced time-to-market, and smooth operation of the technology core in a third-party environment.

AVAST Software, the makers of avast! Antivirus, protects over 170 million users around the world, and has integrated Outpost’s firewall and content filtering technology into its all-in-one Internet security solution.

"Agnitum’s personal firewall technology has long been the standard by which others are judged, and we are pleased to be able to enhance our users’ Internet security protection with this proven solution", comments Ondrej Vlcek, CTO at Avast.
    About Agnitum

Founded in 1999, Agnitum Ltd. (www.agnitum.com) has been committed to delivering and supporting high-quality, easy to use security software for over a decade. Agnitum’s commercial solutions for the home market are Outpost Firewall Pro and Outpost Antivirus Pro, securing personal and family computers; and Outpost Security Suite — an all-in-one Internet security solution. Dedicated to global e-security, Agnitum also offers free versions of Outpost Firewall and Outpost Security Suite to secure users’ system, network connections and critical data. Outpost Network Security ensures centrally-manageable endpoint protection and reliable performance for SMBs, and Outpost Antivirus Service provides antivirus protection via monthly subscription to 150,000 ISP subscribers.

For more information and to request review copies of Outpost Pro, please contact:

Agnitum International PR

http://www.agnitum.com/news/2012-12-06-agnitum-firewall-technology-avast.php

2. gery

gery Registered Member

finally avast made a good move on this direction and understood what's best

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

What happens to Avast's own firewall developer team now? o_O

4. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Any idea when it will be integrated in Avast Internet Security?

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I run Outpost Firewall Pro and have a life time license. If Avast starts running it in their Internet Security, would a person like myself have conflicting firewall software if I also run ISS, and would I be better to drop my present FW set up and just use Avast ISS?

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

why not just run avast free alongside your outpost firewall?:ninja:

7. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

I see by your sig that you run Avast Pro, I don't see any reason for you to contemplate a change if your set-up works well for you. You would have to disable the firewall in AIS to use it with Outpost anyway, just to basically use Outpost again, once Avast integrates Outpost.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Right. If I stay with Avast Pro it's not a concern. I was just thinking that if I at some point wanted to streamline my set up, I could use AIS and delete my stand alone OP. But that wouldn't be necessary. :)

9. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

For sure, unless you just wanted to streamline, as you said. But that would be wasting a great lifetime license, in essence throwing some money away...Wish I never did that..lol

10. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I'm a bit dim obviously but can someone confirm if this is OP FW and HIPs incorporated into Avast or just the firewall stuff? If HIPS also AIS becomes a very interesting product indeed.

Also does it suggest Avast sigs in the Agnitium suite at some point?

Cheers

11. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Agnitum has already acquired antivirus technology from VirusBuster so...

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As a rule I don't like suites any way, because if you have an all in one and it has problems, the whole suite might be down. I like the layered approach.

13. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

"is just Parts of the firewall,not all the firewall technology,as you can see here:

Parts of Outpost firewall and protocol parsing technologies are embedded into Avast’s comprehensive Internet Security solution

Agnitum, the PC security expert and manufacturer of the Outpost range of security products, is glad to announce a licensing contract with a prominent antivirus vendor Avast Software. Avast now takes advantage of Outpost’s best-of-breed firewall technology for the purpose of its all-in-one security product.

Agnitum’s technology now available to the licensee involves personal firewall, attack detection, parsing of HTTP as well as POP3, SMTP and IMAP protocols.

"Agnitum’s personal firewall technology has long been the standard by which others are judged, and we are pleased to be able to enhance our users’ Internet security protection with this proven solution", comments Ondrej Vlcek, CTO at Avast. "

so the avast firewall team,have some work to do ;)

font:

h**p://agnitumblog.blogspot.pt/2012/12/agnitum-firewall-technology-avast.html

14. Firecat

So basically they have licensed some drivers and technology and just need to "add" this to their existing codebase?

15. Technical

Technical Registered Member

A bird is telling me that we will see something in avast! 8 in the Q1 of next year :D

16. itman

itman Registered Member

Good move on Avast's part. Their existing firewall was the weakest link in the existing Suite software.

Would not be surprised if this is a beginning of a possible merger of the two outfits. Would be complimentary to both outfits product wise and the end user would be the winner.

17. Firecat

Not likely as Agnitum already has an anti-malware division (VirusBuster technology acquisition).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.