agentsrv.exe

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by gkweb, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

although i don't use the speach feature, the voice agent loads each time i launch TDS, is there a way to not run it ?

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi, you could kill it in the process list - it's in windows anyway starting up certainly in office and XP.
    It's the msagent server part, enabling the msagents to run on your system, and if you have speech enabled (default on XP) which is integrated with it (at least with sapi4)
    Did you check them out at www.microsoft.com/msagent ?
    When asleep the agentsrv takes so little resources that there is hardly any reason to close it therefor.

3. gkweb

If all my security software worked like that, i would have many useless processus taking "little ressources" which together simply taking ressources :)

I just know at start that i won't use msagent, so it's more logical to not launch that i won't use, that it use few ressources or not ;)

For now i just kill it in the taskmanager, but i think an option in TDS would have been more logical, because for now, TDS assumes that any TDS user will use msagent, which is not my case at least... may be the option in TDS-4 ?

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You could ask MS not to include it automatically in windows XP and ME for if it wasn't there TDS wouldn't start it - it will not give error messages if it is not found to be started.

5. gkweb

it isn't the fact that MS include it automatically, for proof it never be started until i use TDS. So that it be installed by default ok, but it isn't launched.

If it wasn't, TDS would have to install it since it use it, so it's really not the point. The point is that TDS load something that we won't all use, and don't offer any options to not load it, i just said that, and btw asked a small "feature" request for TDS4 :)

I will try to disable it on my system if it's possible.

6. gkweb

mission successfull :D

7. enduser

enduser Registered Member

hi gkweb,
    i also like to know how to disable msagent. can you help me how to do that.

thanks

8. gkweb

rename "c:\windows\system32\dllcache\agentsrv.exe" in something else like "agentsrv.exe.old"

then

rename "c:\windows\msagent\agentsrv.exe" in something else like "agentsrv.exe.old"

after that, the windows file protection will say you that a file has changed and will ask you if you want to keep the new version possibly unsafe, say "yes".

mission acomplished :)

9. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Thanks gkweb :D ....kinda been bugging me too.

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

So you'll never load the speech support, nor the msagent supported functions, nor have your system or at kleast TDS voice commanded doing things, opening the helpfile, send emails, surf voice commanded to other websites, etc. nor playing my scripts and more! You guys are missing a lot! :)

11. enduser

enduser Registered Member

thanks gkweb :)

Josskee. :D

12. gkweb

don't misspell his name damn it! ;)

=> Jooske

:)

13. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Don't call her [​IMG] a him. :p

Pieter

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

In TDS type speak "Jooske" and you will hear it pronounced almost right

15. gkweb

damn, i perfectly know it, but i so rarely use these gender words in english that i write "his/him" everywhere even when it is "her" :oops:

sorry Jooske !

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

To use TDS as a talking clock, msagent Genie supported of course, save this script without the .txt extension in the TDS scripts folder. Load via TDS to play it. But your agentsvr needs to be active. :)
    BTW Gk, there is a french speech engine as well at the msagent site so you can easily translate your text output in french if you prefer so and have it spoken in your language, for which you'll need to install the french msagent.exe (128kb) as well.
    www.microsoft.com/msagent

Attached Files:

17. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Jooske, Also in many of the examples, read items also popup a ballon text which is useful when you are hard of hearing ;) :D

18. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

True, reason why i never configured them to suppress the balloons.
    And in most of the more recent msagent supported scripts i added a command to type "hide" in the console to unload the used agent character.
    If you type hide in the console while there is no agent loaded, mind you, for this hides the console itself and if you did not configure TDS to minimize to the systray and have the quicklaunch there i would not know for sure how to get it back else then closing it in the taskmanager and restarting it :)

With a timer of some other example added to it one can automate the process of showing the time, adding an agenda or reminder, etc.

The msagent supported and speech technology is used a lot to enhance the computer and internet experience for disabled people too; for instance chipspeaking at www.chipspeaking.com and it's brother program chipspeech which can speak aloud for help with scratch or give some water or other useful things; there are scripts to read pages or text pieces aloud or to surf voice commanded, starting programs, sending emails, the whole lot, and much is possible with scripting in TDS too..
    In TDS-2 i ever discovered this world as we all know since TDS-3 included the scripting part :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.