After yahoo classic webmail...migration ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by smallhagrid, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid Registered Member

Very soon yahoo is ending their classic webmail interface service.
    I've used it a long time - tried their 'new, improved' thing and hated it.

My desire is to get a different webmail service to replace yahoo with a very simple, light interface that is quick and doesn't bog down my browser.

I've tried gmail, gmx.com, mail.com and a few others I'm not remembering right now.

In addition to the above, I'd like to be able to migrate my saved emails from there to the new service and I have 12 folders of carefully sorted, saved emails.

So I need a way to bring my emails over from there just as they are to the new service, if possible - and I know some places have migration tools, but I'm having no luck finding those today.

I'll be looking through the lists some more at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_webmail_providers
    http://email.about.com/od/freeemailreviews/tp/free_email.htm

But still would greatly appreciate any recommendations to shorten up this process a bit.

Thanks.

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, I'm not certain of who allows migration and all that. But, if you don't find one, I'd look at setting up an Outlook.com email, forwarding the mails to that account and, instead of going through their website, use Thunderbird or another email client to send and receive your mail through. You'll have the benefit of unlimited storage, great junk filters, and not seeing any new ads MS is placing through the webmail service.

3. smallhagrid

Thanks.
    I'm looking specifically for a webmail service - I'm all set with POP mail.

My explanation is missing what I use webmail for - my bad - sorry about that.

Webmail is what I give out if I think there is even a remote risk of spamming or anything I may wish to ditch easily with zero risk.
    I use it for all site contact forms and whenever an email address is demanded; that way if it turns out OK it can always be changed later.

I've always kept a single webmail account just for this, but some of the services are terribly bloated/slow - and yahoo mail classic has been pretty good for some years, but when it's gone, it's gone.

I could easily make a spam-catcher email account on my own domain and use Roundcube or Squirrelmail to access it, but I don't want my domain name in any email account that I use this way - so webmail is best - let it go to some service until it proves it is harmless and to be something worth keeping.

Also, I am in a bunch of yahoo groups which tend to send alot of krap mails full of useless/mindless one-liner replies, and they get ditched about a second after opening - again, best sent to a webmail account.

From what I've read, Zoho has about zero support and is not so good; Yandex may be OK, and Inbox.com may be also.

I'm hoping there's still one with a migration helper that someone here will tell me about...?

Thanks.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Although I always liked Yahoo! Classic, I don't mind the new one & find I am getting used to it. Ironically I am moving most of my work/business contacts back to Yahoo! Mail after deciding to use Gmail as my main mail previously. As things have changed for the worse with Gmail & I dislike Outlook/Hotmail I realised that I have a separate Yahoo! Mail account provided with my ISP. It seems cleaner & less cluttered than my other Yahoo Mail. I have never really used it so I decided I would go with that. I have experimented with AOL, GMX & Zoho but I think I will give this Yahoo! account a run. Zoho was probably the best other option.

5. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I would pick outlook.com
    The interface is great, much better than Gmail in my view.
    Also, you can have folders and tags or both.
    At least give it a try.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, Gmail has gone downhill if you ask me. Even Outlook would be a better option. It's a great shame as Gmail was good once.

7. smallhagrid

Thanks for the replies folks.
    I am looking aside of the big names, so as such not wanting to use anything from M$, the big goog, or yahoo.

Zoho proved their lousy support with a useless form reply; and 2 others I asked about migration from yahoo have yet to reply at all...and I don't know if I want to use yandex for email either.

Any other suggestions, please ??

Thanks.

8. anon

anon Registered Member

9. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Have you looked into email forwarding services? Since you want to hide ultimate destination email address information from senders, you'd want to make sure the forwarding service is setup with that in mind. You wouldn't want it generating a bounce message that reveals the ultimate destination if for some reason it couldn't forward the message to your mail server.

Instead of using a catchall which may expose you to some (more) spam, you could setup another email account or an alias on your mail server and forward to that. Configuring Thunderbird to retrieve that forwarded email and stash it in a different account or folder. You'd have all your email coming in to Thunderbird and you'd save the hassle of having to also check a webmail account.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  10. smallhagrid

Wow.
    I guess there's just no other good webmail providers then.

Not looking for a complicated solution here - seriously.
    Don't want POP3 as 90% of what I send there need never be saved.
    Not asking about email client s/w, I'm all set with that.

This is for exactly what I asked - a webmail service that is free, light, quick, avoids the big names - and a nice bonus would be if it would import from yahoo.

At this point I'm going to just wait to see if fastmail and the other one I asked questions at reply at all, and if I must I'll just use fastmail when I ditch yahoo.

Thanks.

11. smallhagrid

Solved.

I gave up looking for another good webmail provider.
    (One webmail service that is free, light & quick is Lavabit.)

As it turns out, the Lavabit support gave me great info to handle this - 2 accounts in a single Thunderbird Portable instance.

I just used IMAP to move all the desired emails from yahoo to a new account of my own creation; then set all yahoo emails to forward there forever.

Done.
    (And I can still use crummy yahoo as a spam-catcher besides, without exposing my new/better email address at all.)

Thanks.

12. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

There is another option - Yahoo Mail.

If you go to Options - Advanced Options there is a Basic option that is disabled by default. When activated, it gets rid of many modern Yahoo Mail annoyances. The Basic interface is somewhat similar to the vintage Classic interface.

13. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Thanks Pinga....My Yahoo mail account is now in the basic mode. I didn't know that option existed.

14. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Wow, I didn´t even know this option existed, thanks a lot! :thumb:

The new Yahoo Mail interface sucks, it´s way too heavy on old PC´s. :gack:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.