After update Chrome stopped working with Sandoxie in Win7

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Page42, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Sandboxie 3.72 was running fine, then I upgraded Chrome browser yesterday to 21.0.1180.60.
    Now my Win7 64-bit PC won't run Chrome sandboxed anymore.
    The browser opens, but won't open any bookmarks or manually typed urls. The wrench features menu appears when clicked, but won't open.
    No extensions appear. The browser is dead.
    However, the new Chrome update runs perfect if I open it outside of Sandboxie.
    And this issue isn't happening in XP.

Things I've tried:

I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled. That didn't help.
    I uninstalled Sandboxie and reinstalled. That didn't help.
    Sandboxie is working fine with IE9 and other sandboxed apps, but not Chrome.
    Chrome is working fine, but not with Sandboxie.

When I uninstalled Chrome I kept a backup copy of the bookmarks/extensions (User Data\Default) and used it to overwrite the new installation file.
    I did likewise with Sandboxie, by saving the sandboxie.ini file.
    I'm wondering if the problem might be with one or both of these saved files, and by overwriting the new install file, I am carrying some form of corruption forward?

For now I am forced to choose between IE9 w/SBIE or Chrome w/o SBIE (which has its own sandbox).
    I like the AdBlock extension in Chrome (and the fact that it already has a sandbox), so I have opted for running Chrome without Sandboxie, until I get this straightened out.
    But I don't feel real comfortable on the internet without Sandboxie!

Over on the Sandboxie thread, tzuk suggested as a first step that I create a new sandbox (and leave it with default settings) and check see if that makes a difference.

I tried doing as he suggested... new sandbox, left everything default, didn't force Chrome, no restrictions, and no good, I got the same result as before.

It all worked fine until the Chrome update yesterday. :doubt:

Any thoughts/ideas?

2. DBone

DBone Registered Member

How about dragon? The latest stable runs great in Sandboxie on my W7 Home Premium x64 SP1 machine. It's faster than Chrome and looks the same.

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

While suggesting alternative browsers may seem helpful, it certainly doesn't address the issue.
    I suggest that the OP interact with Tzuk who will sort things out sooner or later, as he usually does.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

@ vasa1, I have posted in the SBIE forum and tzuk has responded (as noted), however, he is a busy man and it strikes me as a good idea to seek opinions here as well.

@DBone, thanks for the suggestion on Dragon. I actually started a thread in this section wherein I ask for ideas like yours, so it's good to hear. I'll look into it, as then I could keep SBIE and drop Chrome... something I am not too keen on doing, though.

5. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Maybe it didn't address the issue to you, and that's fine, but it might address the issue for others. I'll let them be the judge.

Hey 42, I am running the latest Chrome in Sandboxie right now as I type this, so obviously this isn't a Sandboxie/Chrome issue on all machines. I don't have any other advice for you on how to fix it, but I can tell you it works for me.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks, man.

7. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

This wouldn't be another OA/Chrome/Sandboxie incompatibility issue would it? Emsi have never quite nailed the compatibility of running chrome under Sandboxie with OA installed. If you haven't already ruled it out, completely shut down OA, then try running Chrome under SBIE and see if it works. :)

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Who do I make the check payable to? Scoobs72?
    You nailed it, man.
    I shut down OA and Chrome opened in Sandboxie just fine! :thumb:

9. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Well 42, maybe it's time to slim down some of your real time protection. :D With Sandboxie as your 1st line of defense, very little else is needed and your machine will be snappier and the incompatibility issue will disappear.............Just something to think about. :thumb:

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The incompatibility point is well-taken.
    I have zero problem with speed on this machine, DB. Could be the 8GB RAM.

11. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Check for $1bn payable to "Scoobs72" please ;)
    You might be able to get away with adding the Chrome application folder as an exclusion in OA, but I've had mixed results with that in the past.

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Worth a shot. I'll let you know. :)

Edit in: I'm running them all together once again... SBIE/Chrome/OA... with the Chrome app folder set as an exclusion. Very good. :thumb:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  13. wallpapers

wallpapers Registered Member

lol what ~Phrase removed~ is "OA" ? Osteoarthritis ?o_O

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2012
  14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

OA is Online Armor.

15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I was having the same issue with dragon/sandboxie and online armor and i quickly solved it by ticking OA in the sandboxie software compatibility assistant and it worked immediately.
    I think a lot of people are installing this combo and not ticking the compatibility section within sandboxie.:argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.