After spam and spim, it's time for spit

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by gerardwil, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

yuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I click on that and it wants me to register to something or other.. I barf on it - along with Blaze - making a lovely yet disgusting symphony of barfenhaagen.

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

To that nice mental picture, I would like to add a thick topping of creamy phlegm.

If anybody wants to read the short article without having to register, try bugmenot.com and enter the domain: http://www.smh.com.au
    It will give you the user name and password.

5. gerardwil

I am sorry it didnt happen to me, I try to copy and paste.

Gerard

6. gerardwil

You immediately hated spam when it started to clog up your email box.

You have an unusual loathing for spim, the unsolicited text messages that now pop up on your mobile phone.

So how are you going to feel about... spit?

Spit - SPam on Internet Telephony - is the term for voicemail solicitations that, within the next couple of years, are likely to deluge web-based phone networks, the British weekly New Scientist reports in next Saturday's issue.

Internet telephony, also known as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), enables users to make cheap phone calls by sending voice data to addresses on the Net instead of routing them via fixed phone lines.

The number of VoIP users in the United States is touted to rise from 131,000 today to 17.5 million by 2008, driven by the expansion of broadband connections which can carry the huge datastream needed to carry conversations.

With that surge in subscribers, spammers are bound to follow, because VoIP messages - as in email - can be splashed out to thousands of subscribers in one go.

Advertisement Advertisement
    VoIP voicemail boxes "will become clogged with salacious spit messages, while denial-of-service attacks, launched by armies of spitbots dumped on innocent computers, could block phone lines," the report says, quoting Qovia, a US firm that has begun marketing an early "spit filter".

- AFP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.