After retore disk will not boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by daved, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daved

daved Guest

Restored using 8.0 build 786 (restore said it was successful) - when I look at the disk, looks like everything is there but system will not boot - get "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Any ideas about what I could check?

I am going from an image of 500GB to 250GB (RAID 0 to no RAID) - only about 2GB of actual data was on the disk when I backed it up.

Thanks

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

The latest build of TI 8.0 is 826 so maybe you should upgrade. Also make sure you are backing up and restoring the whole disk and not just the partition that contains your operating system.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello daved,

Thank you for choosing Acronis System Restore Software.

Could you please let us know what controllers you had when you used RAID and now, when you use the drive in non-RAID mode? If the controllers are different there may be problems because of the lack of drivers for the new one.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. daved

daved Guest

It's the same controller in both cases... Intel 82801FR (integrated into the motherboard).

5. daved

daved Guest

Oh one other thing, someone mentioned be sure to select the whole disk not the partition...
    In that window am I supposed to select the square drive icon rather than the longer "C:" icon?

When I click one time on the drive icon is says: "Intel RAID 0 Volume 0.1 Total Size: 465.7 GB"

When I check one time on the C: icon is says: NTFS Free Space: 451.9 GB Total Size: 461 GB.

I think I may have checked on the C: icon during the restore...

6. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Yes Dave you should click on the drive icon as the C: icon relates only to the C: partition.

7. dld

dld Registered Member

I am new to TI. I have just created images for my two computers, but have never actually restored the images. Here is what I see on one of my computers:
    http://img31.echo.cx/img31/695/screenhunter0036bi.jpg
    Is it not the C: drive I have to image? What exactly is the drive icon?

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi again dld,

According to another thread you have both Dell desktop and laptop computers. Dell computers often have hidden diagnostic partitions which can be accessed during boot up. If that's the case it means Dell have created a proprietary Master Boot Record (MBR) on your primary hard drive.

If you ever need to restore an image to a replacement hard drive and want to ensure it boots your operating system (as well as retaining the Dell hidden partitions) the created image must include a copy of the existing MBR. TI will only do this if you image the whole of your hard drive. This is achieved by ticking the box next to Disk 1 (see screenshot 1 below). When you restore the image you will again need to select the whole drive as the destination (screenshots 2 & 3).

Regards

Attached Files:

9. dld

dld Registered Member

Re: After restore disk will not boot

I take it this applies only if a replacement HD is involved? As a matter of fact, when I use Retrospect Express and have to delete the existing partitions, I must delete the main NTFS partition, but there is also a small FAT partition that I must also delete. Then, when I install WinXP, both partitions are automatically recreated. Would this FAT partition be the MBR you are referring to?

10. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

How do you install that WinXP? A bog standard Windows XP CD made by Microsoft will NOT create 2 partitions during installation.

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Normally, yes. However, Acronis Support can't gaurantee that the system will boot if you only image the primary (active) partition, even when restoring to the original drive.

No, the MBR is written to the first few sectors of the hard drive and defines the partition layout/characteristics and where to look for the boot code. I would say the FAT partition is the special Dell partition I referred to earlier.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.