after motherboard change and xp repair install, acronis true image doesnt work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chrome_sturmen, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

hi, yesterday i changed my motherboard out, same processor. i then did a repair install of windows xp, and most things work as usual, but acronis true image gives the error "no hard disks found" i uninstalled true image, restarted, and then reinstalled, but i keep getting the same error- same case with acronis disk director. the motherboard im on now is an abit nf7-sg2, with nvidia nforce 200 chipset.

hopefully, this is not a permanent problem and some one can help me resolve it. thanks in advance if so ;)

2. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Greetings chrome sturmen,

I had a similar problem when I first installed TI and Disk Director. Here's a thread that may offer some suggestions:
    Re: E000101F4 no hard drives found - SATA

If your motherboard has the nforce 2 chipset, as my Gigabyte GA-7N400S-L has, I found on extensive research that the nforce 2 chipset has lots of problems, such as running SATA hard drives. Part of my solution was to use an Adaptec PCI SATA controller card, which seems to work well with TI. I also found several sites suggesting not using nVidia's IDE drivers (which also control SATA) and instead using the Microsoft IDE drivers, which seems to help on my system. Even Plextor, the maker of my SATA DVD drive, suggests replacing nvidia drivers with Microsoft drivers.

Acronis support says that they will work on an individual basis with those having troubles with hardware configurations that may need special drivers to run TI. Perhaps they may assist you.

I also ended up installing another Adaptec PCI controller card to run an external USB II hard drive -- more of the nforce 2 chipset limitations. I'll upgrade eventually, but for now, am running fine, and TI and DD see all my internal SATA HDs, even a SATA HD on the mobo, a SATA DVD drive, and the external USB HD. So, hang in there, with plenty of patience and some trial and error, you may just get this solved.

Just a note, the mobo model number you gave may have a typo, I think it's an Abit NF7-S2G (I searched the Abit site & found this one).
    Abit NF7-S2G

You might also post more of the specific details of your setup: type of hard drives, version of TI, etc., as more users may be able to suggest ideas to assist you. The latest build should have the best SATA drivers, and you may also try updating the SnapAPI drivers Acronis supplies, which get updated between builds:
    Acronis Drivers

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  3. chrome_sturmen

you know, this is funny- ive had an msi kt4 ultra for a few years, but it didnt have onboard sata controllers. 2 years ago i bought a sata drive, and had been running it through a promise pci add in controller.my friend told me its better to have a motherboard with built in sata controllers, pci add ins werent as good. so finally friday, i got a new board with built in sata controllers- the abit nf7 sg2- my memory had gone bad and i figured id do both at once. im about to head over to my friends house to use her cable modem to download the newest nforce drivers tonight- maybe this will take care of the problem- starnge that you say its better to use drivers other that those created by the chipset manufacturers- sounds like bad news :(

4. Christopher_NC

Well, you may find that the new drivers, or even a Bios upgrade, do the trick on your system. Every motherboard implements the chipsets slightly differently, and, let's hope yours did it right.

Do you still have the Promise PCI SATA controller to experiment with? Part of the problem, here, is that the drivers that run under Windows, with TI and other programs, may work fine with your onboard SATA drive setup, but, when you switch to Linux mode (using the TI boot disk, or when restoring a system drive) those drivers are different. Linux has fewer drivers for SATA, and, from one controller card to the next, and one USB HD to the next, the Linux drivers may or may not support your hardware.

So, just experiment, and try out different combinations, until you find what works best on your system. Even changing from one DVD drive to another may change the mix, so, start with the basics, and work your way up. Let us know how you get on.

5. chrome_sturmen

hey, thanks much for your help! the nvidia drivers seem ok so far- the updated acronis drivers fixed my issue, both disk director and true image are now working properly. thank you!

6. Christopher_NC

Glad to be of assistance, and that you are up and running! That's good news about the Acronis drivers solving your issue. I would imagine that with all the SATA drives in use, that more and more of them will be supported in all modes of TI and DD before long. For anyone else with a similar problem, do try the latest release of the Acronis Drivers (already linked in this thread, at the bottom of Post # 2), as they do get updated between builds.

As all the seasoned vets of these forums suggest, it's a good idea to test the TI process thoroughly on your "new" system, from image creation thru restoration, in each TI mode. That way, if you ever need it, you'll have confidence it runs on your setup, and all the drives are recognizable.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.