After cloning, can only boot in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scubatom, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scubatom

scubatom Registered Member

I used Tru Image 9.0 in XP Home to clone my 25 Gig C: drive to a 250 gig drive. First, I created a bootable CD, then an Acronis Secure Zone on my second internal drive, and a new image of C there. At that point, I plugged my new 250 gig drive in place of my second drive as a slave. I ran Hitachi's disk install CD to add the drive and format it at 239 gig. Then I rebooted to my old C:, loaded True Image and ran clone disk to create a new C:. All appeared to go fine and True Image reported success.

When I rebooted, I get past the POST screen, and the XP splash screen shows up for about 1 second, then reboots. I can boot in basic Safe Mode and all appears fine. I've tried restore a couple times, shrunk the partition back to 25 gig, same results. Once, I used my XP Install disc and ran the repair program there for XP. Initially, that got it to where it booted normally, but very slowly, then it started hanging up trying to reinstall hardware and I dumped it. I also recreated the Master Boot Record in there too.

I have now re-run Hitachi's disc installer and recreated the disc and new C: drive at 125 gig. I saw a notice in thier info that C drives larger than 135 gig can be a problem. I'm now restoring my C drive image back to that new partition which reports to be 117 gig.

Any ideas? I'm having to use my wife's computer, and am getting the Evil Eye here!

Scubatom

2. noonie

noonie Registered Member

What Service Pack have you updated to for xp, if any?

3. scubatom

service pack 2

4. scubatom

After another try, finally a reinstall of XP repairing my installation seems to have worked. It now boots right, and I'm getting XP updated again.

Scubatom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.