After 12 yrs online, something finally happened

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Chuck57, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

The first thing I thought of was hardware such as overheating or something going bad. I'm still not sure that might not be the case, except nothing has happened since.

I was online checking one of the many forums on which I post and suddenly the computer, XP sp3, 512RAM went into a reboot cycle. It would go through the BIOS up to the 'welcome' and then a quick flash of blue screen and back into reboot. I couldn't get into safe mode to check anything.

So, using my trusty Paragon HDM, I retrieved an image on my other HD. After the HD was imaged, the problem still remained. After trying a couple of other things, several hours later, I gave up and re-installed XP. The computer was about due anyway. The problem immediately stopped. I continued to run and use the computer the rest of the day, well into the night and it's running perfectly.

Surprisingly, I entered the number in XP and it authorized me instantly. Didn't even have to call anybody.

The only possibility I can think, other than a malware or some driver or a piece of hardware going bad is that an hour or so before the above happened, I'd gotten some MS updates that I'd been ignoring for a few days. My thinking now as I write this post is that I got a bad MS update, or one that my computer didn't like. These were the recent security updates for this month.

I'm now back to XP Pro sp2 and have auto updates turned off, just in case.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi chuck IMO its sounds like your MBR was Hit/Damaged.Did your image restore include the MBR? which should have corrected it I would think.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Sometimes software dies. That's all. Although, it could be hardware as well.
    Just keep backups handy.
    Mrk

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

You know, I don't know if the MBR was a part of the image. I assumed it was but, that image being 7 or 8 months old and the very first I ever did with Paragon, there's no telling.

I hadn't thought of the MBR, since everything worked nicely right up to the moment XP should have displayed the desktop. Then, it flashed that BSOD and went into a reboot loop. I never did get to see what the BSOD said. It flew past it too quickly.

I'm still wondering about the coincidence of the MS updates and that happening right after they were installed. I think I'll just stick with sp2 and rely on Returnil and/or Sandboxie to keep things safe.

*edit* I also have Avira and SuperAntiSpyware, both freeware along with Returnil and Sandboxie.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

probably was related to the update but who knows,it happens.I Had a horrible experience after trying AE AnitiExcutable endless blue screen roboots and that was my only solution format or image restore,thank goodness the Image I replaced was with the MBR included and it worked.So as mrk said Sometimes software just dies.Glad all is well now and the nice fresh OS is always a good thing from time to time.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The interesting thing is that after you restored the 8 month old image, it still did the same thing.... that's weird. So that means it wasn't related to the Win updates, since your old image didn't have those recent updates on it.

Could be anything though.... perhaps even hardware is more likely. As long as a fresh reformat fixed it, you're good though. Unless and/or until it happens again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.