AEC’s TrustPort Security Solution to Include Dr.Web Engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tec505, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

News From Dr Web:

July 11, 2007

The Czech security company AEC, Ltd. (www.aec.cz) and Doctor Web, Ltd. have signed a long-term cooperation agreement that will improve the quality of AEC products even more. Under terms of the agreement, AEC’s products will include another antivirus engine, this one from the well-known Russian anti-virus company. This will provide users with even better virus detection abilities and protection against malware for both workstations and gateways.

The Dr.Web scanning engine is a robust antivirus tool. It performs exceedingly well, excelling in the detection of certain kinds of computer viruses and trojans. In comparative tests, AV products using this engine have been awarded the Virus Bulletin 100% Award 27 times. It is also certified by ICSA Labs.

In addition to this new scanning engine, the newly released version of TrustPort Workstation brings more innovations. Better log files, improved graphics, and a new “maintenance mode”. While in this mode, the special Antivirus System Console (AVSC) displays system records of the program. AEC TrustPort Workstation is Windows Vista ready (except for the personal firewall module), provides local antispam protection, continual scanning of web traffic, optimizes memory use and has many other improvements. Another new feature of this workstation solution is a special application that allows users to create and manage encrypted archive files.

We are very positive about this technological cooperation, comments Boris Sharov, CEO of Doctor Web, Ltd. Dr.Web anti-virus technology has long proved to be one of the strongest AV-protection elements on the market. We are looking forward to bring more security and stability to thousands of AEC’s users worldwide.

Bc. Lucie Ema Kurakova, AEC Marketing Director, comments on this occasion: Cooperation with company Doctor Web Ltd. is another step towards continuously better quality of our products. Thanks to this cooperation we will offer our customers a new generation software in order to increase ICT security of corporate environment as well as home users.

The cooperation of both companies represents yet another important AEC milestone and is sure to discomfort our competitors, while TrustPort product users will benefit from an even stronger and more reliable product.

2. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Actually AEC Uses Norman/Bitdefender.

Which engine will be dismissed?

Or it will be dismissed only in corporate edition?

M.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

at least some companys are realising the potential of its engine :)

and not always the companys, muuhaha :D

------
    power to the people :p

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

At least TrustPort will maintain their slow scanner speeds :p :blink:

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I wonder whether this will mean a double or a triple engine now?

Overall this is good news for both companies.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it just shows how good the drweb engine really is,

if they are thinking of dropping norman or bitdefender, it just shows what drwebs can offer instead.

but if they are thinking of making it a triple-engine product, i dont think drweb will add hardly anything in terms of ram usage/cpu usage, but it will add greater detection, so it sounds like a good move for AEC for sure.

with VC already using the drweb engine, and also safe n sec use drweb in one of their solutions aswell, its nice to know people are realising drweb has a good engine for their products :)

personally ive always kept my faith in drweb, and with an improved version arriving very soon, and also features that will arrive with a completly new product (ie. v5), i can really see drweb being a top3 antivirus by the end of the year.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Current TrustPort uses Norman+BitDefender+AVG+Ewido. I had long suspected they would start using the Dr.Web engine, nice to see that came true :)

I don't think any engine will be dismissed per se, but TrustPort's cost is probably going to rise because of using 4 engines (5 if Ewido is also counted). If any engine would be disimissed, it will most likely be the BitDefender or AVG engine, but I don't think this will happen.

It is also likely TrustPort will sell many versions of their product, with separate engines, 2-3 engines combination, etc. "Choose which engines you want". :D

8. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Like what appened to AVK: they dismissed Bitdefender for new Avast engine.

M.

9. Firecat

The reason why I say that either the BD or AVG engine will be dismissed is because:

- Norman engine already has very good detection rate
    - Dr.Web engine has about the same or better detection rate than the AVG engine (Ewido excluded) and has better unpack support.
    - BitDefender engine, while very good in terms of detection rates, is quite slow at scanning
    - Ewido engine is a good trojan detector with good unpack support

Mainly, since Norman is an "Advanced" level AV anyway, and has good detection rates, while Dr.Web is a "Standard" rated AV with good heuristics, and Ewido also contributes a good bit, it is very likely the on-demand detection rates will remain very close to what it was when Norman was still using Norman+BitDefender (if we consider the scenario in which BitDefender is dropped)

If we consider a scenario where AVG is dropped, well, Dr.Web provides pretty much the same detection rate and better heuristics. Therefore there should be an improvement in detection rates, at least proactive detection.

Since TrustPort already has good detection rate, one of their primary focus would be to increase the scan speed of the product, or to provide better protection without bogging down the scan speed (thus replacing one engine with a better one). This is why I think BitDefender and AVG are the prime candidates for removal, if TrustPort considers such a thing.

In any case, the more interesting part of this announcement can be seen here:

Note how the announcement says co-operation agreement instead of license agreement. This is very close to the term that was used for the announcement of Virus Chaser ("technical affiliation"). One thing that I have deduced from my experience with Virus Chaser is that the Dr.Web engine allows its licensors to add their own signatures to the database, and even construct a separate database where the licensor can store their signatures. If this is being done with TrustPort then it is possible this means an improved response time to new threats as now the guys at TrustPort can write their own signatures instead of submitting samples to the AV vendors who will then write a signature and push an update. :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  10. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Such a deep analisys. ;)

I agree completely. Sometimes ago I tested AEC AV. I found it effectively very slow, worst than BD scan.

M.

11. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Is there any pricing information on Trustport?

12. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I wonder if bitDefender really would be removed if they are considering taking out an engine. Taking the engine with the best proactive detection out of the rest of the engines trustport uses seems like a bad call to me.

13. Hnanicek

Hnanicek Registered Member

In the new version, there is massive performance optimalization. Overall performance of on-access scanner is much better now. Also, nobody is forcing you to use all engines. Yo can easily configure system to use for example only lightweight engines (like grisoft or norman) for realtime scanners.

Lubos Hnanicek
    AEC

14. Firecat

Hello,

nice to see someone from AEC here! I do have a gripe with TrustPort: I am unable to find any means of purchasing a license for the Workstation product online! There is no English language online seller who offers support for and sells AEC products.....

Is there anything AEC plans to do about this? :)

15. cdr

cdr Registered Member

:D I am not very knowledgeable about these things, but in this type of co-operative agreement, is there a chance that AEC, in developing its own signatures, would then provide these signatures to Dr. Web for inclusion into Dr. Web's standalone product? This would sort of be like AEC helping Dr. Web to "beef-up" its product.:) Just curious.

16. Hnanicek

Hi,

currently there is no plan to create AV signatures for DrWeb engine in AEC, neither provide it to DrWeb. TPAV will use same virus definition set, as DrWeb AV. Maybe in future...

Lubos Hnanicek
    AEC

17. Firecat

What about my question? :)

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

"If there isn't AEC distributor in your country please contact us at sales@aec.cz "

19. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

This sounds like the ultimate av. But I believe it is a bit too much.
    Isn't this one too heavy?

20. Hnanicek

Hi,

we are aware of this problem. Currently we started negotiating with eShops in USA and other countries. So, situation should improve soon.

Lubos Hnanicek
    AEC

21. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

And what about to open an e-shop (element5, asknet, digital river and so on)?

Mike

22. Joe_Jones

Joe_Jones Registered Member

Click on "Winkel" on the webpage via the link in my signature.
    And they will inform you where and how you can buy Trustport Workstation.

:thumb:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  23. Joe_Jones

Joe_Jones Registered Member

No, because it is done in a clever way, you can decide yourself which engines
    you want to work on on-access, or for Internet, or On-Demand.
    And this is the only way i know, to scan your system with AVG, Ewido, Norman, Dr. Web and Bitdefender engines.

So for example you can decide to only use Bitdefender and Ewido engines for On-Access, and do a nightly scan, On-Demand with all engines.

And it doesn't slow down your system while your working.

I am very curious to see what will happen at the next AV-Comparatives,
    because Trustport found more malware then any other AV with 4 engines.
    But now, Dr Web is added.

Further more, it has a Firewall, AntiSpam, e-Sign, on-line encryption
    electronic signature (like PGP) and safe data deletion

If you are afraid it might be heavy, just try it, at least once.

24. showtime33

showtime33 Registered Member

I have been testing trustport with every engine active on all scans....its not slowing me down as much as expected....except with the http scanning....that will make ur web slower for sure...also the downloading is strange....it downloads the file first and scans it then prompts u to download it and moves it to ur desktop.

My trouble is I cant seem to find a place to purchase the antivirus and/or workstation....at AEC's website it says you can buy individual components but I cant seem to find where....so eff it, I would buy the workstation if I could find a place that speaks english..:( I have emailed 5 different places without a response..o_O
    I believe the statement "If there isn't AEC distributor in your country please contact us at sales@aec.cz " is not true....

I have spent a great amount of time looking for uk sites....but couldnt find anything...if anyone has any info...any help would be greatly appreiciated...

thank you...

25. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

Lubos,
    any plans on more engines ?
    like Avast! :) (also Czech company) or Spyware Terminator (again Czech team behind) ...

or it all depends what 'exclusivity' got Grisoft with AVG ? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.