Adwind RAT is back, crooks are targeting Aerospace industries in many countries

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by itman, Jul 12, 2017.

1. itman

itman Registered Member

http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/60897/malware/adwind-rat-campaign-2017.html

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

3. itman

itman Registered Member

It would definitely be used by aerospace enterprises since CAD/CAM, etc. like applications use it heavily.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

They sure do. I guess at the end of the day outfits like this are going need to ramp up auditing and setting security provisions for every single possible programming language such as that app and others to avoid getting taken by even scripto kiddies.

5. gorblimey

gorblimey Registered Member

You're not wrong:

but not for "every single programming language".

The sad fact is that the best possible vector is PEBKAC, since most humans (read: "employees") work for their own convenience and insist that Somebody Else should look after threats. And I wonder how many business boxes have holes for sticks, disks, cards ... ?

My fave email app, Gammadyne Clyton, is auto-set to strip problematic attachments from messages, but OTOH this is the sort of thing that should be done on the company server and all in-bound emails should be served to the user's (employee's) desktop rather than the user having a local email client.

So I have very little sympathy left for institutions that won't swallow a tea-spoon of cement powder, (wo)man up and take security seriously.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Can anyone possibly explain (as regards to emails especially) why such organizations/institutions BY NOW or BEFORE, never even considered something as stupid simple as having those open in a virtual containment array/sandboxie etc. at the very least to dodge infecting the actual system.

I'm not as sure if the same would help where concerns the network channel itself. But couldn't agree more that if windows is the preferred system of choice, there has been infinite even very FREE protections created and distributed for a very long time now that would no doubt stave off RAT intruders dumping their payload etc.

At a loss to understand why they let such systems hang out like a wet rag.

7. itman

itman Registered Member

Stand-alone sandboxing the likes of Sandboxie, etc.. are problematic for most corps., that is why they are not used.

Today most of these attacks are spear phishing where the attacker has researched in depth his target. They are quite deceptive and as recent events have shown, are quite effective.

There is a solution. Receive all e-mail in text format and refuse to accept attachments; instructing the sender to include attachment detail in the e-mail itself. Again, not practical for many corps..

So, just use a security solution such as Eset that can scan e-mail for malware in most popular e-mail clients. It detected a "DHL" malicious one for me a couple of days ago.

Eset_email.png

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  8. itman

itman Registered Member

In regards to corp. e-mail attacks, I will mention this for folks not aware of the situation.

Corps. are much more vulnerable to e-mail attacks than individual users. Individuals use an e-mail provider that as a rule scans all incoming e-mail for malware. Corps. on the other hand use an e-mail server to receive e-mail directly from the Internet and distribute it internally. As such, corps. are entirely dependent on their internal security solutions and proper configuration thereof for protection.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.